How to Create a Simple Bridged VM.

Chris Welber

Mar 14, 2016
I am used to using Virtualbox. In Virtualbox when you setup a bridged connection it takes care of all the networking (i.e. once you enable a bridged adapter for a VM guest it's a host on the hosts's subnet, no need to do anything further).

In proxmox it appears to not be so simple. In bridged mode all it can do is connect with the Proxmox host, but not outside. Also the DHCP server on the subnet 192.168.x.0/24 which the proxmox host can see and initially picked up an IP before I set it to static is not visible to the VM-guest either.

My network is 192.168.x.0/24. The Proxmox host is a static IP on this network subnet with full internet access to the Internet, and there is a standard router connected to the internet on this subnet too.

I was wondering if someone can provide a full step-by-step to setup a guest with with full routered access to the Promox hosts subnet of 192.168.x.0/24. I am stuck.

Many Thanks!

When I tried NAT mode, I have internet access outside of the proxmox system. It's just the bridge mode which seems to be giving me problems.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi,

can you send the network config.

/etc/network/interfaces

Here you go, I added the "eth1" interface in the GUI, but only NAT worked prior to that as well. My goal is to get bridging working from VM's where I manually assign a static IP outside the host system. If possible I would like to have the Proxmox host bridge eth1 too:

root@pve:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
# network interface settings; autogenerated
# Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
# you're doing.
#
# If you want to manage part of the network configuration manually,
# please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do
# so.
# PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT its network
# configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
# the PVE managed interfaces into external files!

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.3.16
netmask 255.255.255.0

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.3.15
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.3.10
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

root@pve:~#

Do you mean a bond on eth0 and eth1?

Problem solved... It was the managed switch which was blocking layer-2 requests. This is interesting because it implies ARP requests from the VM's are broadcast out to the switch even from localized VM activity.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!