How to Convert VM from Proxmox to VMware vSphere?

racrbmr

Jun 16, 2022
Hi guys,

I have use case where I need to convert all VM from Proxmox VE to VMware vSphere, I have tried several options and didn't get to work. Did someone have any experience with this?

And I have question
B6f3ah2OKu.png
where exactly this VM disk (ide0) is located on the Proxmox??

x1CPJ0qSDD.png
I have tried this

seeEwpCaeD.png
but this happened, did I specify wrong disk path? I get the command from this site https://www.rajaseelan.com/posts/migrate-guest-vm-from-proxmox-to-vmware/

I have tried options of convertion including with VMware converter and didn't get to work.

CMIIW.

Thank You.

Last edited:
Hi,
You are using the wrong path it looks like. Try this:

Code:
qemu-img convert -O vmdk -f raw  /dev/datastore/vm-100-disk-0 proxmox-guest-img.vmdk

-f raw ... format of the disk image currently
-O vmdk ... output format

Reactions: racrbmr
How do you do this when there are two disk files?
disk-drive-scsi0.raw
disk-drive-scsi1.raw

Like this maybe?
qemu-img convert -O vmdk -f raw disk-drive-scsi0.raw disk-drive-scsi1.raw image.vmdk

Update: Nope, vmware is not able to use this disk or import it.

Last edited:
How do you do this when there are two disk files?
disk-drive-scsi0.raw
disk-drive-scsi1.raw

Like this maybe?
qemu-img convert -O vmdk -f raw disk-drive-scsi0.raw disk-drive-scsi1.raw image.vmdk

Update: Nope, vmware is not able to use this disk or import it.
Oh course you also need to vmdk disks in VMware.

>Oh course you also need to vmdk disks in VMware.

Can you expand on this? The only option I find is to import existing disk/s which vmware seems to do but then won't start.
There are no options for 'vmdk' specifically or I missed that looking through all of the possible options.

>Oh course you also need to vmdk disks in VMware.

Can you expand on this? The only option I find is to import existing disk/s which vmware seems to do but then won't start.
There are no options for 'vmdk' specifically or I missed that looking through all of the possible options.
If you source VM has two disks, you need to import those two disks as well. Both converted to vmdk.
If this is not possible via the GUI, upload via ovftool or just via ssh/scp to the underlying Linux-compatible OS.

When I used proxmox to convert the vm, I entered both disks into the command as shown above.
Do you mean I should have exported the vm and the first disk as one vmdk and the second disk as it's own vmdk?

Do you mean I should have exported the vm and the first disk as one vmdk and the second disk as it's own vmdk?
a VMDK is a disk, so you need two. You can also try to create a ova file from the two disks like this:
- recreate the VM in VMware with the settings you like including two vmdk disks of the same disk
- export the file as ova via ovftool
- unpack the ova (with tar)
- replace the disk images
- repack the ova
- import via ovftool

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!