How to configure bridged networking with systemd network?

dgx

Sep 11, 2019
Hello,

I got a server from hetzner and three ip addresses and planned to have two KVM virtual machines(one Linux and one Windows) and assign separate IP for both VM's and one for the proxmox server itself.

I installed custom proxmox using command line on Debian 10 and i can login on the web interface and it is already using one of the ip addresses.

I requested separate MAC for the both additional IPs as noted in their tutorial but i experienced huge problem when trying to configure the bridge for the VMs

I know i need to edit /etc/network/interfaces as usual but i got this and have no idea how to proceed forward for this simple setup i want to achieve

Code:
source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# Networking is setup using systemd-networkd, since /etc/network/interfaces can
# not match MAC addresses but requires an interface name which may be subject
# to change when upgrading to a newer systemd net naming scheme:
# https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.net-naming-scheme.html

I read the proxmox wiki it only has documentation for the old way using /etc/network/interfaces but the new systemd is like new world for me.

I would be very thankful if someone explains the procedure on systemd network or post configuration files. This will be extremely helpful to other users as well that aren't skilled with the new systemd networking way.

Thanks!

Reactions: Luki20
then dont use it for now.

system.d networking is not supported by promox at the moment. i woudl wait till they implement it officially and then make the leap over.
as for the hetzner image, simply configure interfaces the properway, then disable systemd.networking should be enough

however question is if you wanna use zfs. if so then the debian image wont suite you much. they are usually mdraid and wierd syslayouts
it is possible to install any image on hetzner without lara

what you could do to install promox image (with full and proper zfs support) is go into rescue mode
then download the image like
and then do a

Code:
qemu-system-x86_64  -enable-kvm -m 4096 -cpu host -smp 8 \
-drive file=/dev/nvme0n1,format=raw,cache=none,index=0,media=disk,if=virtio \
-drive file=/dev/nvme1n1,format=raw,cache=none,index=2,media=disk,if=virtio \
-drive file=proxmox-ve_6.0-1.iso,format=raw,index=0,media=cdrom \
-boot d,menu=on,splash-time=50000  -vnc :1

this code would be valid for their nvme server :)

what it does is, it start a VM and links the local hard drives into that vm.
now you start a vnc viewer on your machine and connect to the ip of your server
youll get the install screen of promox.

now the tricky part is, it could be on a full zfs setup that the machine still refused to boot because zfs complains that it was mounted on another machine. if it doesnt boot after install, you go back to rescue, mount zfs back in and then export it again.
i dont remeber exactly how i did it, but wasnt to hard.

its a bit hacky but works. if thats to complicated i just can urge you to ask for a lara and install promox image, with zfs properly.
the md raid images by hetzner are a plain pain and zfs on their nvme machines is a dream

Thanks @bofh, this helped me to notice that Hetzner uses customized Debian images that use systemd network. This is huge problem to anyone that tries to install Proxmox using the 'Official' Debian images they named in the installimage. Since i didn't know how to load custom image, i installed the Debian 8, then upgraded to Debian 9, then upgraded to Debian 10 and finally installed proxmox. All is working as expected and the machine is using Debian 10 again with the latest Proxmox version.

Thanks @bofh, this helped me to notice that Hetzner uses customized Debian images that use systemd network. This is huge problem to anyone that tries to install Proxmox using the 'Official' Debian images they named in the installimage. Since i didn't know how to load custom image, i installed the Debian 8, then upgraded to Debian 9, then upgraded to Debian 10 and finally installed proxmox. All is working as expected and the machine is using Debian 10 again with the latest Proxmox version.

oh no debian 10 comes with systemd by default not their fault.
the issue with hetzner is the hdd layout and mdraid which isnt officially supported by proxmox either

oh no debian 10 comes with systemd by default not their fault.
the issue with hetzner is the hdd layout and mdraid which isnt officially supported by proxmox either

Definitely Debian 10 doesn't use systemd network by default. I installed the netinst iso on a virtual machine on other unRAID server and you can see how the default interfaces file looks:
- Hetzner

I even asked on the Debian 10 irc channel on freenode, they all confirm that debian doesn't use systemd network by default.

Definitely Debian 10 doesn't use systemd network by default. I installed the netinst iso on a virtual machine on other unRAID server and you can see how the default interfaces file looks:
- Hetzner

I even asked on the Debian 10 irc channel on freenode, they all confirm that debian doesn't use systemd network by default.

oh youre right, sorry for that.
i dont know why i had the impression it would, i could swear i read about it on debian.org.

must have been after dealing so much with those premade images from hetzner and ovh recently.

youre right debian10 is no systemd networking by default...

well just leaves aweful mdraid and partitioning to be less desireable.

just let me tell you real quick about 2 of many features of zfs on promox: (specially for nvme)
you can thin provision and use scsi drivers with discard and ssd emulation on the guest - result - trimming the guest will shrink the provisioned dataset for that guest imidiatly.
secondly you can export a dataset with nfs/cfis directly from zfs with one commandline, no need for an export file
let alone snapshots and sync

specially with nvme/ssds its awesome as fragmentation is not an issue at all.

but it requires a full fresh custom install .... jsut saying :)))

Hello,

I got a server from hetzner and three ip addresses and planned to have two KVM virtual machines(one Linux and one Windows) and assign separate IP for both VM's and one for the proxmox server itself.

I installed custom proxmox using command line on Debian 10 and i can login on the web interface and it is already using one of the ip addresses.

I requested separate MAC for the both additional IPs as noted in their tutorial but i experienced huge problem when trying to configure the bridge for the VMs

I know i need to edit /etc/network/interfaces as usual but i got this and have no idea how to proceed forward for this simple setup i want to achieve

Code:
source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# Networking is setup using systemd-networkd, since /etc/network/interfaces can
# not match MAC addresses but requires an interface name which may be subject
# to change when upgrading to a newer systemd net naming scheme:
# https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.net-naming-scheme.html

I read the proxmox wiki it only has documentation for the old way using /etc/network/interfaces but the new systemd is like new world for me.

I would be very thankful if someone explains the procedure on systemd network or post configuration files. This will be extremely helpful to other users as well that aren't skilled with the new systemd networking way.

Thanks!

On Hetzner install image they have a custom image that is Debian 10 + Proxmox.

Once installed you just need to enable the bridge by adding the following to /etc/network/interfaces

auto eno1
iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address "Server IP"
netmask 255.255.255.224
gateway "Server Gateway"
pointopoint "Server Gateway"
bridge_ports eno1
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 1
bridge_hello 2
bridge_maxage 12

When you create the VM enter the MAC in the wizard and the VM will get the IP automatically via DHCP

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!