How to Clone VM Disks

nyxynyx

Oct 1, 2020
I have a VM Disk that I would like to temporarily make a backup copy of before I attempt something dangerous on it.

Can this be done using the Proxmox UI?

Or is there a single command (or 2) that we can use on the command line to do this (and will the copied VM disk show up in the Proxmox UI)?

Thanks!

Depending on your task, a snapshot or backup of the whole guest would be the easiest solution. The corresponding GUI entries may be found under the guest you want to backup/snapshot and there under either "Backup" or "Snapshots".

If you are doing something dangerous inside the VM (e.g. windows (driver) updates, etc.) a snapshot would be enough.

I'm trying to resize a disk to double the size. Would a snapshot protect the data in case something goes wrong? This involves several steps, resizing the disk in Proxmox, then resizing the partition inside the VM and then resizing the filesystem.

I clearly depends on this question: will snapshots protect against geometry changes in the VM disk
I answered that question - they do.

Some of the few depends are:
a) your backend storage and its` snapshot implementation
b) doing something interesting, like running the backend storage out of space and invalidating the snapshot

Luckily for you, you are in possession of an excellent virtualization system that allows you to test best case scenarios easily.

I suspect all storage backends will handle the partition/filesystem roll back. However not all will actually shrink the disk. Even than it should be enough to gain data access back.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!