[SOLVED] How to clone a guest virtual machine that has a passthrough drive?

verulian

Feb 18, 2019
I have a guest Windows virtual machine that has a passthrough mapped hard drive and I want to clone this virtual machine without the passthrough drive. When I attempt to clone the guest vm I get an error:
Code:
unable to parse volume ID '/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST4000VN008-421156_ZAV43AS' (500)

Clearly this is due to the passthrough drive, but I'm not clear on how to work around this. I suppose I could remove and re-add? But for some reason that sounds a little dicey/scary in that it might cause some problems somehow..... Probably being paranoid, but just wanted to see if there's a recommended way of dealing with this.

Meh, I went ahead and did it against my fears of buggering something up. I simply did a "Detatch" from the Hardware tab for the guest vm and then back in terminal I remapped it again with qm set 102 -scsi2 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST4000VN008-421156_ZAV43AS.

Did the job and no apparent problems.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!