How to choose a physical port for Proxmox management tasks

bluepr0

Mar 1, 2019
Hi there!

I've finally taken the plunge and purchased a mini PC as a secondary node. While browsing Google and YouTube, I discovered a method to configure an Ethernet port solely for migrating VMs and LXCs. This is fantastic because sometimes during a migration, the Ethernet port gets saturated, causing some services to respond very slowly.

I achieved this by selecting a physical port on each node, assigning the same network, and then in Datacenter > Options > Migration Settings, choosing that same network.

However, as the name suggests, this setup only works for migration. I would like to also utilize the same Ethernet port for backups. Currently, my backup tasks save backups to an NFS share on my TrueNAS server, but I haven't found a way to specify the node to use a particular Ethernet port for backups.

The only solution I could think of is to assign a different Ethernet port to the VMs and LXCs so that the "primary" Ethernet port is free for the backups. However, there might be a way to accomplish this without resorting to such a workaround.

Thanks!

Currently, my backup tasks save backups to an NFS share on my TrueNAS server, but I haven't found a way to specify the node to use a particular Ethernet port for backups.
Usually you would accomplish that by creating a another subnet and giving your NAS and PVE an IP in it. You could use the same subnet for backups and migration traffic.

Reactions: bluepr0
Usually you would accomplish that by creating a another subnet and giving your NAS and PVE an IP in it. You could use the same subnet for backups and migration traffic.
Ah, nice! That could be a good approach. It's sad that there's nothing "official" to make it easier, though. :/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!