How to check that migration from Proxmox 1.8 to 2.1 is correct?

khayman

Sep 15, 2010
Like in title, I've migrated one openvz container from proxmox 1.8 to proxmox 2.1 using manually exchange public keys and vzmigrate from odler one to new one (vzmigrate new_one_address CTID). In Proxmox 2.1 openvz container appeared in /var/lib/vz/private, its config file in /etc/vz/conf and /etc/pve. Everything else should I check?

first of all, i don't know :p i have poor experience with openvz. Try to start/stop, backup, restore, use the vm. Obviously.

but i didn't know you could migrate CT (or VM) in pve between different versions, i always assumed a working cluster was needed, or otherwise a backup/restore.

Did you migrate a running machine?

Marco

It was very simple. First of all I've created a master on Proxmox 2.1 -> pvecm create name_of_cluster. Then, as I wrote, i've manually exchanged public key of two servers between them. Finally vmigrate. Yes, i've migrate of running machine.

Backup/restore solution it's not for me. I've mail servers, databases server, and timeouts must be the quickest.

this is really strange to me.
i understand about exchanging keys, but i felt there should have been technical problems...
and 1.x and 2.x have somewhat different cluster technologies behind, i guess.

i've always read you can't make a cluster between different pve versions, even minor ones...
see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade
i guess you were lucky somehow

Marco

I didn't create cluster with Proxmox 1.8 and Proxmox 2.1. I have two clusters - one with 1.8 and one with 2.1. Manually exchanged public keys beetwen servers make possible to launch vzmigrate (this is not my idea, this is condition of vzmigrate). But I am not 100%, that configuration of migrated machine is OK. I can stop/start, dump and restore, so it looks like that it's ok.

well it seems to me that you _have_ live migrated between two very different pve servers, anyway.
anyway, being openvz, i think that the kernel version should be your main concern about compatibility, if the obvious steps are ok....
but i'm no expert here.
Marco

As I wrote before - I don't have any problems with testes openvz container. Yes, I've migrated this machine from 2.6.32 to 2.6.32. But, it's interesting to me, if config files are in the right places.

can't you just install a similar new CT on the 2.1 server and check that config files are in the same places for both migrated a dn locally created machine?
i know it would be better to have alist to check, but if ot's not on the wiki, there is no list. You could create it there for others! Wouldn't this be useful?

Marco

If I know, where should I check, I wouldn't write this topic. As I wrote before, I know 3 places:
/var/lib/vz for virtual machine "disk"
/etc/vz/conf for virtual machine conf
/etc/pve for virtual machine conf

vzcfvalidate said, that success. But more interesting me, that if config files are in right directories for Proxmox cluster?

With no answers, I will use results of this commend: find /* -name [number of CT] - results for my migrated machine and new created are the same.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!