how to build kernel module by manual?

xux1217

Sep 26, 2019
Hi,

I have a ASUS motherboard and run the PVE, and I want to use lm-sensors to monitor hard driver status.

But the ASUS chip driver nct6775 has a bug in pve7, so I must compile it by myself. Refer here: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=204807

To compile the nct6775, I need use a patch file to the standard kernel source code.

And now, I don't know how to compile kernel module in pve, I can't get a standard kernel source to use the patch file.

Please help me, maybe someone can describe the relevant method?

pve version: 7.0-10
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="11"
VERSION="11 (bullseye)"
VERSION_CODENAME=bullseye
ID=debian

kernel version:
5.11.22-2-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.11.22-3 (Sun, 11 Jul 2021 13:45:15 +0200) x86_64 GNU/Linux

That is a kernel patch, you can apply it directly to the kernel tree. Check out the pve-kernel repository and put the patch file in patches/kernel, then run git submodule update --init --recursive && apt-get build-dep . && make deb, that should give you a patched kernel .deb file to install. Note that this will not auto-update, so you need to build your own kernel for every update we release manually.

That is a kernel patch, you can apply it directly to the kernel tree. Check out the pve-kernel repository and put the patch file in patches/kernel, then run git submodule update --init --recursive && apt-get build-dep . && make deb, that should give you a patched kernel .deb file to install. Note that this will not auto-update, so you need to build your own kernel for every update we release manually.
Can I only build a module to load? not all the kernel.

I know use the standard linux kernel source to build.
`make modules` and copy the generated "*.ko" to /lib/modules/{version}/kernel/drivers/

You can try, of course, though if the corresponding driver is compiled as "built-in" it will not work (not sure how we configure it, probably as module though). Take a look at the Makefile in the repository I linked to see how we build our pve-kernel packages. The source is in the submodules directory.

You can try, of course, though if the corresponding driver is compiled as "built-in" it will not work (not sure how we configure it, probably as module though). Take a look at the Makefile in the repository I linked to see how we build our pve-kernel packages. The source is in the submodules directory.
OK, I would try, thanks very much.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!