How to backup VM's on a 4 node cluster to USB drive

Smarti

Aug 5, 2017
Hi all,

What would be a good way to back up a cluster to an external USB drive?

Has anyone done this at all?

Thank you for your answer, I now realise my question was badly worded - apologies for that.

I want to back up my VM's to an external USB drive. I mounted the USB drive on node1 and added it as storage for VM backups, at which point all the nodes gained a storage icon that I thought was pointing to the USB drive on node1. However, when I perform a backup the backup files get copied into the local storage on each of the nodes (except node1) at the same location as the mount point for the USB drive.

So I guess my question should be, how do I share a USB drive between all of the nodes in a cluster so that I can backup all of the VM's to it?

I am not sure you can do that. USB is local to the node it is plugged into. I am actually planning similar setup but without clustering, I only have 1 server , but all my research seams to point to a 2 stage backup option rather than direct route. that is having a local storage backup HDD that I would rsync to external USB disk on scheduled basis.
I think in a cluster it would work in the same way. if each of your nodes would have a local backup store (shared/clustered) than if you set an rsync job from one node it should backup all data from that shared backup datastore. that would included all data from all node. I am sure some Proxmox gurus will confirm/reject this assumption.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!