How to backup mount point.

guywhotypeslow

Jun 23, 2022
I have a few containers that share a mount point and when I backup the containers using PBS it only backs up the containers main storage. I see that in the GUI I can select backup but on those containers that option is not selectable (greyed out). How can I backup the mount point for these containers?

Hi,
please post the output of pct config <VMID> for the container in question. I assume that you have a shared bind-mount?

Hi,
please post the output of pct config <VMID> for the container in question. I assume that you have a shared bind-mount?
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your reply. Yes it is a shared mount sort of. This container has access to the whole volume and at least one other container has access to a subdirectory of the volume.

Here is the out put of:

pct config 117 arch: amd64 cores: 4 features: nesting=1 hostname: Nextcloud memory: 4000 mp0: volume=/rpool/data/Data,mp=mnt/LDD net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,hwaddr=EE:CF:CF:B5:36:79,ip=dhcp,type=veth onboot: 1 ostype: debian rootfs: CT-Data:subvol-117-disk-0,size=60G swap: 4000 unprivileged: 1

For reference the other container which also mounts this volume is

pct config 114 arch: amd64 cores: 10 features: nesting=1 hostname: Jellyfin memory: 8000 mp0: volume=/rpool/data/Data/Main_Structure/Entertainment,mp=media/Entertainment net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,hwaddr=6E:0B:FC:05:E5:33,ip=dhcp,type=veth onboot: 1 ostype: debian rootfs: CT-Data:subvol-114-disk-0,size=50G swap: 8000 unprivileged: 1

I might also ask a slightly different question along the same lines. Is it possilbe to just backup that volume directly whether or not it is mounted to one or more container?

Bind mounts are not managed by the PVE storage backend, it is therefore not possible to include them in the backup.

You will have to back it up using eighter a host based solution (e.g. by running proxmox-backup-client on the dataset) or a solution from within the container itself.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!