How to backup Ceph?

oops404

May 27, 2023
Hello all,

i actual setup a 3 node proxmox cluster with Ceph but I`m wondering how is the best way to backup the data which is in ceph to a backup server in my lan? Which filesystem should I choose on the backup server and how to backup that no unix rights or so well be dropped.

Did someone already do Ceph Backup Jobs or anyone hope that Ceph never fails :D

Best

Do you use CephFS? If so, you can access the files in it and back it up with whatever solution you want. Most should take care of permissions and attributes.
If you have VMs and CTs on your Ceph, then back them up on the PVE level.

Do you use CephFS? If so, you can access the files in it and back it up with whatever solution you want. Most should take care of permissions and attributes.
If you have VMs and CTs on your Ceph, then back them up on the PVE level.
I plan to setup the Ceph with replication and over the GUI from Proxmox. So I`m actual not at this point but I try to plan how to backup this stuff. So on this Ceph will be Data like Images and Videos and some little container with databases like MySQL.

If I understand you correctly I can do this on Datacenter level in proxmox a backup over maybe NFS to a backup server? Correct?

That's possible for VM and CT disks, yes. Add the NFS server as a storage with content type `backup`.
But for CephFS you have to manually back up its content.

What do you mean by `Ceph with replication`?

That's possible for VM and CT disks, yes. Add the NFS server as a storage with content type `backup`.
But for CephFS you have to manually back up its content.

What do you mean by `Ceph with replication`?
I mean replication and not erasure code Ceph.

Sounds like I need to back it up manually. Any recommendation? Which filesystem should I use on the backup server? Actual I tried to backup a ZFS to a ext4 which makes me many issues about unix permissions.

Just rsync the CephFS? This is not the best way or?

Quero dizer replicação e não código de eliminação Ceph.

Parece que preciso fazer um backup manualmente. Alguma recomendação? Qual sistema de arquivos devo usar no servidor de backup? Na verdade, tentei fazer backup de um ZFS para um ext4, o que me causa muitos problemas sobre permissões unix.

Apenas rsync o CephFS? Essa não é a melhor maneira ou?

Eu usaria o Bacula Backup ou o Borg Backup

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!