How to avoid RAID1

caccia78

May 9, 2020
Hi,
I am a newbie therefore please apologize for any stupid thing I could say.
I have installed Proxmox on a NUC and started with a single disk (NVME M.2) where I have two partitions, a LVM-Thin where I have two VMs and a Directory where I have disck image, container, snippets...
Later I added an SSD where I wanted to have other VMs (mainly just some tests I do) and some space for other backup + some disks that VMs on the Disk 1 (NVME M.2 above) could use. On this second HD therefore I created again two storages: a LVM-Thin and a Directory.
I didn't want to have any kind of RAID (BIOS is set with RAID disable).
The point now is that both the LVM-Thin have the same content like I had set them to RAID1.
How can I avoid this?

Thanks,
Vins

Attachments

• Schermata 2020-05-09 alle 23.00.04.png
    Schermata 2020-05-09 alle 23.00.04.png
    230.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Schermata 2020-05-09 alle 22.59.59.png
    Schermata 2020-05-09 alle 22.59.59.png
    221.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Schermata 2020-05-09 alle 22.59.22.png
    Schermata 2020-05-09 alle 22.59.22.png
    141.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Schermata 2020-05-09 alle 22.59.09.png
    Schermata 2020-05-09 alle 22.59.09.png
    133.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Schermata 2020-05-09 alle 22.58.08.png
    Schermata 2020-05-09 alle 22.58.08.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 14
Hi,

you probably "just" selected the same backing storage when you added the second hdd-img/storageprox storage entries.
Both of your LVM-Thin storages point to the same volumegroup, pve, that's why the content seems identical because you look at the same thing.

You can edit the storage and ensure that it uses the respective Volume Group you created on the SSD, e.g.:

Screenshot_2020-05-10 nina - Proxmox Virtual Environment.png

Thanks a lot Thomas,
I understand now the problem.
Saying I want to recover the situation, I was trying to create a new PVE or LVM Thinpool but I can't because it says there are no empty disks.
How can I remove the LVM-Thin I have created in order to create a new PVE or LVM thinpool?

Thanks,
Vincenzo

Attachments

• Schermata 2020-05-10 alle 21.50.32.png
    Schermata 2020-05-10 alle 21.50.32.png
    265.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Schermata 2020-05-10 alle 21.50.20.png
    Schermata 2020-05-10 alle 21.50.20.png
    270.6 KB · Views: 8
I mean, what did you do with the SSD (/dev/sda)? Would it be OK for you to completely wipe all partitions and data from it? Not that there's a filesystem with some sensible data already there. The screenshot of the "Disks" panel shows its status as "mounted".

I mounted it but actually I still don't have anything relevant. As I said, I find there replica of my LVMs.

Thanks again.
Vincenzo

I followed this guide in order to add the SSD: https://nubcakes.net/index.php/2019/03/05/how-to-add-storage-to-proxmox/

Mainly I formatted the SSD EXT4 and created a primary partition. Then mounted the drive and edited the fstab file with this line:
LABEL=storageprox /mnt/data ext4 defaults 0 2
Then created two directories, one for LVM and one for backups

After this, I went on proxmox and added Directory and LVM.

Thanks again for your patience with me!

Mainly I formatted the SSD EXT4 and created a primary partition. Then mounted the drive and edited the fstab file with this line:
LABEL=storageprox /mnt/data ext4 defaults 0 2
Then created two directories, one for LVM and one for backups

So you do not have any LVM on that disk, just the ext4 partition. That can be fine too, Proxmox VE can also use ext4 for everything.
But you cannot add a LVM storage for that disk if there's none there, LVM-Thin does not goes on top of ext4, it goes "below" it.

You options are:

* Keep the local, local-lvm from the NVMe and the "storageprox" directory storage. Enable all content types for the directory storage, so that it can be used for VM/CT disks, Backups, ISOs and templates and so on.

* If you really want to have LVM-Thin you could wipe the SSD "storageprox" disk, create an LVM-Thin - this can be then done over the Webinterface, you could then create an Logical Volume on that and use that additionally for an ext4 filesystem based partition.

Thanks again Thomas also for your quick answers.
This evening when at home I will try your suggestions above and let you know.

Hi Thomas,
thanks to your explanation everything is more clear now. I have updated the storageprox disk to allo also Image host and it works as expected. Thanks a lot again for your time.
Vince

Reactions: t.lamprecht

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!