How to automatically mount shared filesystem at start up?

bmas9307

Apr 14, 2022
Hi Everyone,

This started when I ran into issues trying to start an lxc container after I did a reboot. I had shared the mounted files with the container in its own mount point, so the file share had to be mounted before I could boot the container. Ideally, I'd like this container to start automatically after I reboot the PVE server, so that will require that all mounts get mounted automatically.

I've added everything in the /etc/fstab file, and the mount point directory exists, but that last manual piece is running "mount -a" after a reboot. Is there a simple way to automate this?

It's probably not relevant to this question, but here are all the customary system details just in case:
pveversion -v
proxmox-ve: 7.1-1 (running kernel: 5.13.19-2-pve)
pve-manager: 7.1-7 (running version: 7.1-7/df5740ad)
pve-kernel-helper: 7.1-6
pve-kernel-5.13: 7.1-5
pve-kernel-5.13.19-2-pve: 5.13.19-4
ceph-fuse: 15.2.15-pve1
corosync: 3.1.5-pve2
criu: 3.15-1+pve-1
glusterfs-client: 9.2-1
ifupdown2: 3.1.0-1+pmx3
ksm-control-daemon: 1.4-1
libjs-extjs: 7.0.0-1
libknet1: 1.22-pve2
libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.4.0
libproxmox-backup-qemu0: 1.2.0-1
libpve-access-control: 7.1-5
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.2-1
libpve-common-perl: 7.0-14
libpve-guest-common-perl: 4.0-3
libpve-http-server-perl: 4.0-4
libpve-storage-perl: 7.0-15
libspice-server1: 0.14.3-2.1
lvm2: 2.03.11-2.1
lxc-pve: 4.0.11-1
lxcfs: 4.0.11-pve1
novnc-pve: 1.2.0-3
proxmox-backup-client: 2.1.2-1
proxmox-backup-file-restore: 2.1.2-1
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.3-1
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 3.4-4
pve-cluster: 7.1-2
pve-container: 4.1-2
pve-docs: 7.1-2
pve-edk2-firmware: 3.20210831-2
pve-firewall: 4.2-5
pve-firmware: 3.3-3
pve-ha-manager: 3.3-1
pve-i18n: 2.6-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 6.1.0-3
pve-xtermjs: 4.12.0-1
qemu-server: 7.1-4
smartmontools: 7.2-1
spiceterm: 3.2-2
swtpm: 0.7.0~rc1+2
vncterm: 1.7-1
zfsutils-linux: 2.1.1-pve3

Thanks

As i know if it is in the /etc/fstab file
then it should be executed at boot so the mount -a should not be needed.
the boot sequenz of your VM could be changed
i think the small number are stopped as last und startet as first.

If you have to run "mount -a" after reboot that means your /etc/fstab is not working as it should for your case.
Did you use: "noauto do not mount when "mount -a" is given (e.g., at boot time)" by chance? (man fstab)

How did you define storage in PVE where container points? Have you set this option?
Code:
       --is_mountpoint <string> (default = no)
           Assume the given path is an externally managed mountpoint and consider the storage offline if it is not mounted. Using a boolean (yes/no) value serves as a shortcut to using the target path
           in this field.
(man pvesm)

Blockbridge: Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

If you have to run "mount -a" after reboot that means your /etc/fstab is not working as it should for your case.
Did you use: "noauto do not mount when "mount -a" is given (e.g., at boot time)" by chance? (man fstab)

How did you define storage in PVE where container points? Have you set this option?
Code:
       --is_mountpoint <string> (default = no)
           Assume the given path is an externally managed mountpoint and consider the storage offline if it is not mounted. Using a boolean (yes/no) value serves as a shortcut to using the target path
           in this field.
(man pvesm)

Blockbridge: Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
I'm going to be completely honest, I only half understand what you're asking here. I added the network path with smb credentials in fstab and just ran "mount -a" with no other options. I did also set the noperm option in the fstab file (see below) as I was told that allows the VM's and containers to access the file system.
Bash:
//IP-path/share /mnt/mount-point cifs username=x,password=y,iocharset=utf8,noperm 0 0

Because this mount point is external, does that mean I should use the "--is_mountpoint yes" option when running the mount command the first time?

If the line is actually like the one you posted, can you just run

Makefile:
mount /mnt/mount-point

and report back the errors you get?

@bmas9307 what is the output of "cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg"
what is the output of "pct config [container_id]"

the "is_mountpoint yes" goes into /etc/pve/storage.cfg if you are managing the mountpoint externally from PVE, which you are.
You can also manage it via PVE by removing fstab entry and adding a "cifs" type storage in PVE. It may solve your issue

If the line is actually like the one you posted, can you just run

Makefile:
mount /mnt/mount-point

and report back the errors you get?

No errors. I can mount it, the issue I'm running into is it doesn't automatically mount after a reboot.

@bmas9307 what is the output of "cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg"

Code:
@Prox1:~# cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
        path /var/lib/vz
        content iso,vztmpl,backup

zfspool: local-zfs
        pool rpool/data
        sparse
        content images,rootdir

what is the output of "pct config [container_id]"

Code:
@Prox1:~# pct config 201
arch: amd64
cores: 3
features: keyctl=1,nesting=1
hostname: GrayStack
lock: mounted
memory: 4096
mp0: /mnt/smb/Media,mp=/mnt/Media
net0: name=eth0,bridge=vmbr2,gw=10.2.2.1,hwaddr=12:8E:A7:80:38:C4,ip=10.2.2.2/24,type=veth
onboot: 1
ostype: debian
rootfs: local-zfs:subvol-201-disk-0,size=32G
startup: order=2
swap: 512
unprivileged: 1

It looks like the mounted file system isn't showing up storage.cfg. Is there a piece I missed when adding it to fstab, or is this managed separately?

Last edited:
I'm going to be completely honest, I only half understand what you're asking here. I added the network path with smb credentials in fstab and just ran "mount -a" with no other options. I did also set the noperm option in the fstab file (see below) as I was told that allows the VM's and containers to access the file system.
Bash:
//IP-path/share /mnt/mount-point cifs username=x,password=y,iocharset=utf8,noperm 0 0

Because this mount point is external, does that mean I should use the "--is_mountpoint yes" option when running the mount command the first time?

Hi, did you tried with auto a _netdev options?

Bash:
//IP-path/share /mnt/mount-point cifs auto,_netdev,username=x,password=y,iocharset=utf8,noperm 0 0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!