How to allow Console access on Proxmox behind NAT?

kotakomputer

Renowned Member
May 14, 2012
Jakarta, Indonesia
www.proxmoxindo.com
My Proxmox server uses Local IP (192.168.0.2) behind NAT (Gateway is 192.168.0.1). I can access the WinXP VM using Proxmox Web UI and RDC Windows. Also WinXP VM can access Internet.

But .... click on Console (of Proxmox Web UI) is not working from Internet, error message is:
---------------
no connection : Connection timed out
TASK ERROR: command '/bin/nc -l -p 5900 -w 10 -c '/usr/sbin/qm vncproxy 206 2>/dev/null'' failed: exit code 1
--------------------------

NOTE: On Router I have forwarded port 8006, 5900-5999 to Proxmox Server (192.168.0.2). And Port 3389 WinXP VM (192.168.0.206) to allow RDC to this WinXP VM.

Any idea to make Console works?

...set-up/use a VPN connection to do it properly and secure.
maybe your router already supports that. check for OpenVPN or IPSEC in its specs.

I don't use VPN since this is a public service. User must able to access their own Console w/o VPN.
The only problem is Console not working.

Well, maybe I am mistaken for the term public service, but opening ports to the internet is making your installation a public service indeed, I'd say ;-)

..nevermind, I take it that you don't seem to care

FIXED!

Here is the solution:
Proxmox should be accessed using its default 8006 port DIRECTLY. I have forwarded port 1002 (Public) to 8006 (LAN) into Proxmox 192.168.0.2, even this make Proxmox Web UI works but the Console is not. Simply remove 1002, and use 8006 for both Public and LAN access.

huseinb: your post make me re-think to solve this issue, thanks!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!