How to add own ssh key for root user

gamerh

Jun 11, 2020
Hi,

I would like to know how i add mine own ssh key for the user root so i can make a ssh connection true root whit mine private key.

Kind Regards,
Gamerh

Like with every debian. Create a new file "/root/.ssh/authorized_keys" as root, paste your public key, make it only accessible by the owner and restart sshd.

Like with every debian. Create a new file "/root/.ssh/authorized_keys" as root, paste your public key, make it only accessible by the owner and restart sshd.
Hi,

I did that but the server keeps refusing the key.

Kind Regards,
Gamerh

In addition to what @Dunuin said - also check the permissions/ownership of .ssh/authorized_keys (600, 400 should work)

In addition to what @Dunuin said - also check the permissions/ownership of .ssh/authorized_keys (600, 400 should work)
Did you verify that the key is only using 1 line and that there is no "PermitRootLogin no" in sshd conf?
This is how i did it:

1: logged in as root true the web gui
2: mkdir -p ~/.ssh
3: echo public_key_string >> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
4: chmod -R go= ~/.ssh

I have also cheked "/etc/ssh/sshd_config" and permit root login is yes

Kind Regards,
Gamerh

There are two ways to login as root. Using PAM and PVE authentification. Did you login as root using PAM?
Also you should try to login using a SSH client and not using the WebGUI. If that works with a password you atleast know that it is not a network/firewall problem.

There are two ways to login as root. Using PAM and PVE authentification. Did you login as root using PAM?
Also you should try to login using a SSH client and not using the WebGUI. If that works with a password you atleast know that it is not a network/firewall problem.
Hi,

I log in as PAM.

I am not able to start a ssh session true an ssh client but i am sure the firewall port is open seems the error Putty gives is that the server refused the key.

Kind Regards,
Gamerh

Thats why I said try it with putty with password authentification first. If thats isn't working too, then you know that the key isn't the problem.

Thats why I said try it with putty with password authentification first. If thats isn't working too, then you know that the key isn't the problem.
Hi,

Password authentication true putty works for root

Kind Regards,
Gamerh

How did you create the key pair? Are you sure it is valid and got no line breaks?
Something like this?
Code:
ssh-rsa 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 gschoenb@gschoenb-X220

It should start with "ssh-rsa AAAAB3Nza" and end with "== someOptionalStuff" all in one line without any spaces except for the one after "ssh-rsa".

Last edited:
How did you create the key pair? Are you sure it is valid and got no line breaks?
Something like this?
Code:
ssh-rsa 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 gschoenb@gschoenb-X220

It should start with "ssh-rsa AAAAB3Nza" and end with "== someOptionalStuff" all in one line without any spaces except for the one after "ssh-rsa".
Hi,

Yes it's like that.

Kind Regards,
Gamerh

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!