How to add an iSCSI mount point?

nec

Apr 27, 2020
Hello,

I'm new to proxmox and I'd like one of my containers to reach an external iSCSI LUN.
On the iSCSI target, the setup is good, and on proxmox web gui, I've added and iSCSI connection in "Storage > iSCSI".
On both sides (proxmox servers and iSCSI target), I see that the connection is done, the link is up : yeah!

Now, I was about to return to my container (which is shut at present) and add a mount point, hoping to be able to choose my iSCSI LUN.
But no, I only see the local-lvm storage in the storage dropdown.

On another setup, a team mate has set up a similar connection, and manage to get it done by adding the missing part into /etc/fstab of each hypervisor.

Is it how it's supposed to be done - the proxmox way, or am I missing something?

Thank you.

Nicolas

Maybe my use case is a bit more special. I want to use Truenas (Scale) in a VM or an LXC container. It should then be able to use the 4 disks in my NAS via iSCSI and treat them as local disks, so Truenas does handle partitioning, ZFS, encryption etc.

Is this possible that way?

Maybe my use case is a bit more special. I want to use Truenas (Scale) in a VM or an LXC container. It should then be able to use the 4 disks in my NAS via iSCSI and treat them as local disks, so Truenas does handle partitioning, ZFS, encryption etc.

Is this possible that way?
First off, a new thread would have been nicer, than posting in one that is over two years old. Secondly, this has nothing to do with Proxmox VE itself.

AFAIU: You have a NAS with some disks and want to install TrueNAS in a VM and access the physical disks of the dedicated NAS via iSCSI?

The iSCSI connection is something you need to do within the VM and TrueNAS. The other question is, if the physical NAS can expose the raw disks as iSCSI target is something you need to check. In my experience, most likely there will be other layers in between, e.g. the disks will be formatted and a large file will be the iSCSI target volume.

Even if the disks could be directly accessed via iSCSI. Such a setup will be unusual regarding the failure domain. Will you have two different dedicated physical networks to access the iSCSI targets via multipathing?

I personally would avoid such setups as they are convoluted and unnecessarily complex. If there is a problem, troubleshooting gets much more complicated.

Reactions: bamf
First off, a new thread would have been nicer, than posting in one that is over two years old. Secondly, this has nothing to do with Proxmox VE itself.

Sorry, I found this thread and thought it's related to my question, so I posted it here.

AFAIU: You have a NAS with some disks and want to install TrueNAS in a VM and access the physical disks of the dedicated NAS via iSCSI?

Yes, it's a QNAP NAS. I wanted to expose the physical disks to my Proxmox server via iSCSI and then use them in a Truenas VM / Container running on Proxmox.

The other question is, if the physical NAS can expose the raw disks as iSCSI target is something you need to check. In my experience, most likely there will be other layers in between, e.g. the disks will be formatted and a large file will be the iSCSI target volume.

Thank you for that hint. You are right, it seems QNAP is doing exactly this: creating a large file for each LUN. I did not find a way to expose them as raw disks. Game over.

Even if the disks could be directly accessed via iSCSI. Such a setup will be unusual regarding the failure domain. Will you have two different dedicated physical networks to access the iSCSI targets via multipathing?

Also no. I use bonded links on both sides, but that's obviously not the multipathing you're talking about.

I personally would avoid such setups as they are convoluted and unnecessarily complex. If there is a problem, troubleshooting gets much more complicated.

Thank you for your explanations. I will re-evaluate the setup I planned to build here.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!