How to access to my Promox server from Internet

cdarsac

May 28, 2021
Toulouse (in France)
Hi,

I easily access to the proxmox web interface from my LAN, but how to do that from Internet ? :)

My proxmox server is behind a livebox.

Last edited:
Well, in theory you would just need to set up port forwarding for port 8006 on your router and then should be able to connect via the public IP address assigned to you by your ISP.
Keep in mind that this exposes your Proxmox VE to everybody else on the internet and might be a potential security risk. (Be sure to use strong passwords!)

A safer option would be to set up a Virtual Private Network (VPN) and connect from there to your Proxmox instance, which has the same effect as if you would be there physically. Setting up a VPN is a bit more work though, but generally the recommended option.

Or at least setup something with 2-factor auth (I plan to move in that direction too, in the future)...

Hi,

I easily access to the proxmox web interface from my LAN, but how to do from Internet ? :)

My proxmox server is behind a livebox.
Allow only your home/office ip as allowed,
second, install tailscale.com in the main host and log in your server using the virtual private tailscale ip instead of the plublic ip... In this way you can login when without the authorized IP

Last edited:
Tailscale or wireguard are also an "antilock out" technic when for some reasons you misconfigure the wan firewall rules.

On my hosts I use a completely deny IN on wan for non Tailscale IP..(internet) and access to the proxmox service only with Tailscale net.

Obviously you can use this technique only if you don't use the proxmoy servers with nat mode for virtual machines.

Close all

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!