How should I use proxmox as a NAS with ZFS and GlusterFS?

jvank

Mar 30, 2019
Hi all,

I want to deploy 2 proxmox servers, with VMs running on one of them and the other being there for failover. I also want to use these machines as storage using ZFS. I want this storage to replicate between the two servers, for which I want to use something like GlusterFS.

Is it smarter to follow this guide completely or should I install ZFS and Gluster on the servers, then share them with samba from an LXC container?

Kind regards,

jvank

You can also use ZFS with replication for failover. For important VMs you can use a replication interval of down to 1 minute.
If that is good enough for you it is definitely the simpler solution. https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#chapter_pvesr

Don't forget that you need at least a 3rd vote in the cluster for quorum. If you cannot add a third full node you can use a so-called QDevice. This is a service that can run on any other machine, even a raspberry pi works. See https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_corosync_external_vote_support for more infos.

I agree with @aaron that replication is the simpler solution for virtual machines.

If you want to use GlusterFS: I don't see a reason to use samba or containers. You can install Gluster directly on your Proxmox VE hosts and run a hyper-converged setup. To do so, you can follow the offical Gluster Quick Start Guide for Debian.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!