How PBS Live Restore will work in this case

Remarkable-Guille

Apr 3, 2018
Miami
remarkablecloud.com
Hi Guys,

Let's say I'm restoring a VM using the Live Restore features (excellent, by the way, and a very clever way to restore)

Inside the VM there is a file called important_data.txt

In the middle of the live restore, the user doesn't see the file (because it hasn't been restored yet) and creates a new one with the same name and in the same exact location)

My question is: At the end of the live restore, which version will be on the VM? the one stored in PBS or the new one created by the user?

I'm asking this because a few days ago, I did a live restore for a cPanel server; most of the users had their site up and running in about an hour (a real lifesaver), but the whole live restore process took live +10 hours.

The next day one customer complained that all day mail activity was gone, and sent and received mail disappeared. I'm trying to understand how it happened; I'm guessing that MDBOX files were created by the server and later overridden by the restoration process.

Last edited:
In the middle of the live restore, the user doesn't see the file (because it hasn't been restored yet)
That's not the way it works.

When you list the files in a folder the blocks where that folder-information is stored get restored. Immediately, before the resulting listing is given back. So if there is a file called important_data.txt you (the OS) will know it.

When you list the files in a folder the blocks where that folder-information is stored get restored. Immediately, before the resulting listing is given back. So if there is a file called important_data.txt you (the OS) will know it.
Exactly. The process should be completely transparent to the user - the only noticeable side-effect of live-restore is decreased performance if data is accessed the first time.

For more details, read through the "Live-Restore" section in the wiki [1].

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Backup_and_Restore

Reactions: Remarkable-Guille

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!