how many proxmox cointainers (openvz) on one machine ?

dzimi83

Jul 13, 2008
Hi !

i read somewhere in internet, that openvz can handle 200 cointaners on one 2GB of ram Intel Core2duo 2Ghz machine.
Proxmox is easy to use VPS software. Great job boys !

Okey, here is my question. Why I can't run more than 48 conitainers on my sandbox using Proxmox ? (Core2duo, 2GB of RAM, 4GB of swap, SATAII 32Mb cache driver)

Is it limited somewhere or proxmox system ? 49 or 50 cointaner start with failed.

48 openvz cointaners generate load beetwen 0,1 to 0,3 :) really great job !

here I read about this:

http://en.opensuse.org/OpenVZ_virtualization#OpenVZ_distinct_features

"OpenVZ is able to host hundreds of Virtual Environments on a decent hardware (the main limitations are RAM and CPU). The graph shows relation of VE's Apache web server response time on the number of VEs. Measurements were done on a machine with 768 Mb (3/4 GB) of RAM; each VE was running usual set of processes: init, syslogd, crond, syslogd, sshd and apache. Apache daemons were serving static pages, which were fetched by http_load, and the first response time was measured. As you can see, then number of VE grows, response time becomes higher because of RAM shortage and excessive swapping.
In this scenario it is possible to run up to 120 such VEs on a 3/4 Gb of RAM. It extrapolates in a linear fashion, so it is possible to run up to about 320 such VEs on a box with 2 Gb of RAM."

So.. why I can't boot more than 48 VEs on proxmox VE ? :)

hmm. Seems it is BUG in proxmox VE. I was prepare sandbox with Debian Etch, vanilla kernel 2.6.24 + openvz patch from openvz.org and i was be able to run 98 cointainers.

# vzlist -a | grep running | wc -l

It is Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 220 @ 1.20GHz with 1GB RAM.
On the sandbox with Intel Core2Duo and 2GB RAM using proxmox openvz cointaners I was be able to run 48 coinainers (using pve tools).

is it bug ?

Proxmox VE is targeted to the enterprice market, i.e. we want to provide reliable services. This includes that we do not overcommit memory (else there is a change that you get random failures).

So If you have 2GB memory, you can only use 2GB memory (2GB physical + swap space)

hm... i do more testing and... kernel make limit openvz to only run 48-49 VPS (for every one 64Mb of RAM).

I recompile kernel from scratch (vanilla + openvz + own config) and... it work ! I run 200 VPS on my sandbox without lags ! Ofcourse machine get while RAM and start swapping - but this doesn't matter rightnow.

Testing sandbox repsond very fast.

Hehe - someone can ask - why the hell you want run 200 VPS on machine with 2GB of RAM ? are U crazy ? :)

Well.. i'm not. For some reason I have to run 180 VPS on big machine (8GB of RAM, Core2Quad). Running 200VPS on 2GB of RAM machine confirm myself in the belief that my production machine can handle them without any delays :)

Neither. I was add min/max 64Mb of RAM. typical VPS get ~ 10-16MB of RAM. Server has got also fast flash 32GB disk where i keep swap :)

Point is, that you can't guarrantee that such sytem is stable. As soon as some VEs use more RAM, the system runs out of memory and will kill random processes.

- Dietmar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!