[SOLVED] How long do incremental backups take, relatively?

Ayrton5

Oct 23, 2023
Yeah, I know, "how long is a piece of string". But given fixed hardware, and given a relatively fixed dataset to be backed up, lets say the initial backup takes a time period of "1" to create. If I backed up again later, and nothing had changed, how long (in relation to 1) would the first incremental backup take?

I'm aware that PBS does clever things with reusing chunks to keep the overall size down. So I'm guessing there's a degree of re-evaluating to do, even if the data is almost the same. But I'm banking on the increment being comfortably below 0.5 - is that realistic?

I'm running my first backup now, it's taking a very long time, it's probably going to be over 36 hours. I'm not so bothered about that, so long as the increments are quicker. It is a relatively static dataset so it's going to be evaluation rather than writing. If it's going to be > 12 hours each time, I'm going to need to rethink my strategy.

But don't forget that you always have to do, prune- garbage-collect and verification-jobs.

Garbage-collect and verification-jobs are no fun, on slow storage ....

Reactions: Dunuin
retry after a shutdown/start VM, because the "dirty bitmap" is lost, and PBS will need to read all source disk VM ( but only new data is written as al, always with PBS) .

Reactions: Dunuin
Good shouts. I've done just that, there might have been a few extra files but not many - and after a restart, it took 6 hours, or 16% of the initial. That's the number I was seeking and I'm happy with it.

Reactions: _gabriel

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!