How does GPU passthrough work?

revvr

Sep 15, 2023
I'm toying with the idea of spinning up a second node in my network. I have an older PC that I used to use as my main one. It has and AMD 3900X, RTX 2070S, and 64 GB RAM. The 3900X does not have onboard graphics.

I currently run OMV in a VM, which hosts the bulk of my storage and applications (Jellyfin, etc.) and I would like to use the 2070S for transcoding. At the same time, I also run a VM with Ubuntu desktop that I would love to get some acceleration for it so that it feels less laggy. I have other VMs (Home Assistant, Ubuntu Server, etc.) present in the system as well.

My understading is that I will not be able to use the 2070S for both VMs at the same time. Is this correct?

What is the recommended setup in this situation?

Last edited:
For those who Google, this seems to be the way! Works great and is a substantial change over what I had on the less powerful machine.

Media that took a while to load while scrubbing is now almost instant.

However, is there a way to check if this is using the GPU for sure to transcode? I can't tell if the better results are from having a significantly faster processor or if the GPU is actually doing the helping.

I have a very big video file, the World Cup final, in 4K at an insane bitrate. The CPU was spiking to 60%-ish.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!