how do you sync into a specific namespace?

tcabernoch

Apr 27, 2024
Portland, OR
Namespace properties seem to sync along with the actual backups.
If you try to sync something in namspace /a to a PBS with namspace /b, what you get is /b/a/.

I want to grab stuff from /a on the first server and put it into /b without its namespace properties.
I want /a from the first server to go into /b. Just that. Just the content, not the freakin namespace too.

How do I do that?

I guess you just don't sync a namespace into another one.
Or rather, while you can do that, it does make an intractable mess.
Hard to imagine a use case where that would be useful.

So I guess I need to change the way I think about this.

You don't sync stuff from source namespace /a on the first server into destination namespace /b on the second server.
That winds up with a namespace of /b/a/ ... ?!?

Instead, you sync /a onto the root of the second server.
In the above scenario, source server would have /a. destination server would have both /b and /a.
I guess that's ok. If those are the rules, I can setup a system that uses them.

... If I'm getting this wrong or overlooking some aspect of how this mess might be logical, please let me know.

Hi,

can you post your sync job configuration?

i just tested this (albeit with a "local" sync instead of remote) and it behaves like expected to me:

datastore1: ns: a => host/test snapshot
datastore2: ns: b => empty

sync job:

local namespace: b
source datastore: datastore1
source namespace: a
max depth: 0

after the sync i have the 'host/test' snapshot in datstore2 in ns b

Just a quick note ... thanks for your reply.
I'll get a chance to look at this in the next day or two. I'll try it again, see if its still doing stuff I don't expect, and post here again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!