How do you move large disk?

Lets say I want to migrate a VM disk because the underlying storage is getting low. All of my servers are raid 10 multi disk SSD or SATA arrays. However it would seem that if a VM grows above 500GB I can't simple "Move" storage to another NFS or NAS storage device it always times out.

Can you provide the exact log output of a failed move?

From NFS --> NFS Sata Sata two different nfs servers Size is 450GB qcow2 cache=writeback network is 1GBE.
1667889246856.png

create full clone of drive scsi0 (NFS-NAS-l-DATA2:175/vm-175-disk-0.qcow2)
Formatting '/mnt/pve/NFS-NAS-M-SATA1/images/175/vm-175-disk-0.qcow2', fmt=qcow2 cluster_size=65536 extended_l2=off preallocation=metadata compression_type=zlib size=483183820800 lazy_refcounts=off refcount_bits=16
TASK ERROR: storage migration failed: unable to create image: 'storage-NFS-NAS-M-SATA1'-locked command timed out - aborting

Hi,
seems like allocating the image takes too long and runs into a timeout. Please try disabling preallocation on the storage to speed it up with pvesm set NFS-NAS-M-SATA1 --preallocation off.

Reactions: shanreich
The setting only affects new image allocations and for such images, QEMU will allocate the metadata as needed rather than ahead of time. It shouldn't really affect the storage layer itself.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!