How do I upgrade. Debian 11 to 12, proxmox mail gateway 7.3 to 8

johnzapf

Dec 11, 2020
Can someone help me with the correct workflow and commands to upgrade. Debian 11 to 12, proxmox mail gateway 7.3 to 8.

I'm not sure if I upgrade Debian to 12 first or upgrade the mail gateway first. I've googled this for several hours i've tried four times and recovered the server four times. I tried to upgrade from 7.3 to 8 two times it didn't work. Then I upgrade Dadian to 12, 2 times, and then the mail gateway didn't work after. So if anybody has the correct way to do this that would be great.

Thanks you

From my own experience I can say that Proxmox's instructions are of very high quality and have not disappointed me so far.

The linked instructions are exactly what you need. One thing that is important, though, is to read everything from top to bottom before you do anything.

Then you should first check for all possible updates before upgrading. Even a reboot certainly won't hurt at this point. Then took a quick snapshot and then go for the next step.

What is the output of pmg7to8?

From my own experience I can say that Proxmox's instructions are of very high quality and have not disappointed me so far.

The linked instructions are exactly what you need. One thing that is important, though, is to read everything from top to bottom before you do anything.

Then you should first check for all possible updates before upgrading. Even a reboot certainly won't hurt at this point. Then took a quick snapshot and then go for the next step.

What is the output of pmg7to8?
OK just a second I'm restoring that VM again so I can try for the 5th time and I'll let you know what that's output says.

I've upgraded all my other Debian VM from 11 to 12 and didn't have any issues, it's just this proxmox mail gateway that I'm having an issue with. This will take about 10 minutes to restore and then I'll post the info from
also this is the non subscription addition. So I guess the only question is I'm having is with repositories as all my repositories for my current non subscription are enterprise repositories there are no non subscription there so that's kind of confusing I don't know, do I add the non subscription and delete the enterprise ones that's kind of confusing?

Last edited:
So looks like this is an issue:
FAIL: Running postgres version '11' is not '13', was a previous upgrade left unfinished?

Screenshot 2023-12-31 094407.jpg

Not sure what to do at this point to resolve that.

Last edited:
So before you upgrade here, you should definitely clear up all the problems first.

You can find instructions for upgrading PostgreSQL at: https://pmg.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrade_from_6.x_to_7.0#Upgrade_the_PostgreSQL_database

And you should install chrony: apt install chrony

Why do you have a repo file for Unifi and MongoDB on the PMG? That has no place whatsoever. Have you ever misused your system for something else? If so, I would recommend you rewind the PMG.

So before you upgrade here, you should definitely clear up all the problems first.

You can find instructions for upgrading PostgreSQL at: https://pmg.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrade_from_6.x_to_7.0#Upgrade_the_PostgreSQL_database

And you should install chrony: apt install chrony

Why do you have a repo file for Unifi and MongoDB on the PMG? That has no place whatsoever. Have you ever misused your system for something else? If so, I would recommend you rewind the PMG.
Yes I'm running a couple other things on that server. It's only doing SMTP so why not use it for a couple of other things is that wrong?

OK so with that said I can set up a new VM and install a new version of proxmox mail gateway is there an easy way to move the config?

Yes I'm running a couple other things on that server. It's only doing SMTP so why not use it for a couple of other things is that wrong?
So I removed unify in its database I upgraded everything and proxmox mail gateways working

That's kind of sad you can't run more than one thing on a Linux server though. I think I'm going to go back to windows then. You can run a lot of things on one server that really just burst my bubble you saying why do you have other things running on that server that's ridiculous. According to your logic I would need 18 servers that's not going to happen.

OK just a second I'm restoring that VM again
I've upgraded all my other Debian VM from 11 to 12 and didn't have any issues, it's just this proxmox mail gateway that I'm having an issue with.

Why do you have a repo file for Unifi and MongoDB on the PMG?

That's kind of sad you can't run more than one thing on a Linux server though. I think I'm going to go back to windows then. You can run a lot of things on one server that really just burst my bubble you saying why do you have other things running on that server that's ridiculous. According to your logic I would need 18 servers that's not going to happen.

The point is, to put those services, like you seemingly already do with the other VMs, in another (additional) VM and not into the PMG-VM...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!