How do I hide the fact to Windows that it runs in a VM?

speedbird

Nov 3, 2017
Hey guys!
Right now, you're my very last resort so far... I'm actually in need for a solution to my problem.

The constellation:
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X CPU
32GB RAM
2x SSD Blades
2x GPUs with PCIe passthrough
2x Windows 10 Virtual Machines

What I do is, that I use one rig with two GPUs passed through to two virtual machines so me and my daughter can game on the very same hardware. That setup worked flawlessly for almost two years now.

However, just recently, one of the games I play (RUST) actually started to cause problems, because every time I try to open it, EAC (Easy Anti Cheat) complains about the fact, that it's running in a virtual machine and therefor refuses to run the game. So I'm pretty much stuck now not being able to play one of my most favorite games.

I've tried contacting EAC about that -> no help, no response, nothing. I've tried contacting the game developer about that -> no help, no response.

So you guys are my only hope right now, because if EAC doesn't like the game being run in a VM, I need the VM to not tell anyone it actually is a VM or to put it in other words: Windows shouldn't be knowing it's a VM but rather just a normal PC setup on bare metal.

Is there any way I can actually achieve this with some kind of parameters in the VM settings or is there any other method to not expose the virtual nature of that very machine. I already tried setting CPU settings to host so it doesn't see an emulated CPU but that also doesn't make any difference. It still knows that it's not the real deal.

Please let me know if there's any way to achieve this tricking.

Thank you so much!

der-coder

Sep 24, 2022
For Everyone in the Future with Anticheat Problem: args: -cpu host,-hypervisor,kvm=off + SCSI Controller = LSI + MAC Address to Real Intel Vendor ID. Also Delete whole Registry with all EasyAntiCheat Entrys. Delete C:/User/USERNAME/Roaming/EasyAntiCheat. Reinstall EasyAntiCheat Service Via Steamapp Folder. Change Bios Vendor String in VM Options.

Reactions: speedbird

der-coder

Sep 24, 2022
After all my changes i disabled args: -cpu host,-hypervisor,kvm=off again. used LSI Controller, changed Bios String, added a real intel MAC to NIC. Resetet EAC again and all works now fine :)

Reactions: speedbird

speedbird

Nov 3, 2017
Change Bios Vendor String in VM Options.

Could you elaborate where to do that and what to put in there please? I tried the things you suggested and even got myself a real MAC Adress but what happens now is that I'm thrown into UEFI shell only. Thanks!

// EDIT //

I just found out it was the switch to LSI Controller that stopped the machine from booting. I used virtio-scsi before and now, when I change the controller to LSI it doesn't boot anymore.

How do I get this running with LSI ?
Thanks!

Last edited:

der-coder

Sep 24, 2022
Could you elaborate where to do that and what to put in there please? I tried the things you suggested and even got myself a real MAC Adress but what happens now is that I'm thrown into UEFI shell only. Thanks!

// EDIT //

I just found out it was the switch to LSI Controller that stopped the machine from booting. I used virtio-scsi before and now, when I change the controller to LSI it doesn't boot anymore.

How do I get this running with LSI ?
Thanks!
You have to correct the Boot Order after changning to the LSI Controler an reselt SATA Devices under the options.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!