How do I get a LAN-only virtual machine?

odroid

Nov 27, 2021
Hello everyone,

I'm using the latest version of Proxmox and everything works.
thank you to the whole community for your work and support.

I have a question that is not trivial ^^

I would like to create a VM but without it connecting to the internet during installation but while keeping the local network connection.

The current network configuration is:

Code:
GNU nano 5.4 /etc/network/interfaces

self lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
         address 192.168.0.13/24
         gateway 192.168.0.1
         bridge-ports eno1
         bridge-stp off
         bridge-fd 0

the network configuration is original, I have not modified anything.

Thank you all

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2022-02-09 à 16.57.21.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-02-09 à 16.57.21.png
    139.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Hi,
I think you can give the vm a "wrong" standardgateway (which is not pointing to the internet) / no gateway.

Why would you like to do it?

yes but if I remove the getaway the other VMs will not have internet.

I just want to prevent an internet connection on a single VM.

Thanks

You would leave the gateway on the host,

@mcdaniels advised you to give the 'isolated' vm either a wrong gateway or no gateway at all - this would allow traffic between LAN and VM but prevent the VM reaching the internet.

You would leave the gateway on the host,

@mcdaniels advised you to give the 'isolated' vm either a wrong gateway or no gateway at all - this would allow traffic between LAN and VM but prevent the VM reaching the internet.
Thank you for your reply.

Sorry but I don't know how to do it, should I edit: /etc/network/interfaces or is it another method?

Thank you

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry but I don't know how to do it, should I edit: /etc/network/interfaces or is it another method?

Thank you
If we are talking about the vm which should be isolated, you can do it in /etc/network/interfaces (depending on the os of the isolated vm -- interfaces files = "e.g. Linuxderivates").

Don't remove / alter the gateway on the Proxmox-VE, this would lead to the behaviour you are talking about (other vms lose internetconnection). Alter/remove the gateway on the VM which should not have internetaccess at all.

Generally, to enable internet access a VM needs
1. VM Hardware config includes a NIC
2. VM NIC is attached to a Vmbr bridge
3. VMbr needs to be attached to an operational physical NIC on the host or to a device which will route network traffic
4. The host o/s of the VM needs a driver for the virtual NIC and a valid IP configuration needs to exist on the o/s deployed on the VM

Any one of those 4 conditions is not met, then the VM cannot access the internet. A gateway for a VM is normally defined and set during the installation of the operating system

Or are you referring to containers rather than VM's?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!