How do I create a read-only VM?

LooneyTunes

Jun 1, 2019
Hi,

I want to install a VM I can use for reading sketchy emails and what not, that will not collect any malware or things like that.

How would I go about doing that in PVE please?

Thats not under hypevisor control. Find yourself an OS distribution that boots from ISO and/or is disposable. Perhaps a template clone for each start.

Dont run things as administrator or root. Implement OS/app level policies. Most importantly - dont click links in sketchy emails.
Generally there are no OS's that can run in a completely ReadOnly mode. Things have to be processed and written, if not to disk - to memory. If you catch a malware that manages to execute and scan/deploy on your network, it doesnt matter that you didnt explicitly "save" it.

PS put your VM in DMZ VLAN thats isolated from the rest of the stuff.

Blockbridge: Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
Thats not under hypevisor control. Find yourself an OS distribution that boots from ISO and/or is disposable. Perhaps a template clone for each start.

Dont run things as administrator or root. Implement OS/app level policies. Most importantly - dont click links in sketchy emails.
Generally there are no OS's that can run in a completely ReadOnly mode. Things have to be processed and written, if not to disk - to memory. If you catch a malware that manages to execute and scan/deploy on your network, it doesnt matter that you didnt explicitly "save" it.

PS put your VM in DMZ VLAN thats isolated from the rest of the stuff.

Blockbridge: Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
Thanks, yes first step is to isolate a network soley for this. No access to anything but minimal access to the mailserver. I get the part with Live ISO, but how do I incorporate that with a VM? I suppose it has to have some cache or similar...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!