how do I connect my one display to the container I choose?

ghstudio

Nov 7, 2020
I have Proxmox installed and I have three containers...100 has home assistant running; 101 and 102 both have Debian 10 installed. I want to use 101 and 102 for testing...I will install other linux systems in one of those....debian 10 in both is just a place holder. Here's where I'm lost: I want to be able to choose if the display on my proxmox server works with either container 1 or container 2....and I would like it to come up, if I do nothing, with container 101. In addition, I would like to use the desktop from either 101 or 102 using my windows 10 system in another room.

when I boot Proxmox, I get a logon screen and can only get to gnome....and I think it's the debian system installed with Proxmox...not 101 or 102.

Is it possible to do what I want to do? can you help me get there?

For this to work you'd have to run an X server within your container... which is a *very* tricky thing to do, since a container usually can't access any GPU capabilities. Depending on what you want your containers to do, it'd probably be easier to set up something like x2go or VNC and use a remote access tool, both from your PVE host (with the gnome you mention) and from your windows 10 system over the network.

If you just need terminal access, that makes things a lot easier: just SSH into your container from the PVE host or use 'pct enter', over the network you can just use SSH as well (e.g. putty on windows, etc...)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!