How do I boot from USB with the Proxmox VE GRUB bootloader?

Dave785

Jul 3, 2024
Long story, short: how can I boot from a USB key using the GRUB bootloader that Proxmox VE installs? (I'm running on an Apple Mac Mini)

More detailed version:

I installed Proxmox VE v8.1 on an old Apple Mac Mini a few months ago. I've since realised I don't need Proxmox, so I want to wipe the machine and reinstall Ubuntu on it instead. I have created a bootable Ubuntu (Server 24.04) installation USB. I have that plugged into the Mac Mini.

Upon boot, I should be able to press the option key to choose the boot device. However, that's for the Apple bootloader, which I gather Proxmox VE has replaced with GRUB.

So I need to be able to boot from the USB from GRUB instead. I don't know how to do this.

Upon booting the machine, I see the GRUB bootloader with various options for Proxmox, but of course no option for booting from the USB.

I found this article which explains how to point GRUB at the USB stick, but parts of those instructions aren't consistent with what I'm seeing, so I can't use those instructions directly. I gather from that article that I need to find an .EFI file that I point GRUB at, so it knows how to boot from the USB. Unfortunately, I'm struggling to find that .EFI file.

I have been able to open a command line (by pressing C in the GRUB menu). When I use ls to list the drives, I have (among others), hd0,msdos1 and hd0msdos2.

I gather this is different to a normal console (e.g. what I would see on a Debian system), because I can't, for instance, run pwd or cd, so I can't cd into a directory, etc. The find or even which commands don't work either. These commands don't seem to be installed on this system...(?)

In any case, I was able to set root=(hd0,msdos1) as per the article. Then I was able to enter:

chainloader / and then press tab, and that showed me a list of directories available.

If I do this with set root=(hd0,msdos1) and set root=(hd0,msdos2), I can see that for

• msdos1: contains a bunch of files but no directories. Of interest are boot.scr, bootcode.bin, cmdline.txt... but I note there are no *.efi files.
  • msdos2: contains the typical directories of a Debian-based system, e.g. boot/, dev/, etc/, home/ and so on.
If I try:

set root=(hd0,msdos2)

chainloader /boot <tab to see sub-directories>

....there's nothing in there that I recognise, and certainly no EFI file.

Elsewhere on the internet I saw a suggestion it might be in /etc/default, but nope, can't see anything there.

How can I boot from a USB key using the GRUB bootloader that Proxmox VE installs?

Thanks in advance.

Ok, time for an update.

For some reason, what should've been a bootable Ubuntu install USB actually wasn't bootable. That was why it seemed like my Mac was ignoring me pressing the Option key upon boot, and why I assumed it had something to do with GRUB instead.

Oddly enough, recreating the install USB and ensuring it was bootable on a different machine, and then trying it on the Proxmox Mac, resolved the issue.

Reactions: rtorres

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!