How disks works on Proxmox?

jolle

Feb 4, 2020
Hi I am working with proxmox for about a month and I have learned a lot of things about virtualization and backups.
One thing that I have not understand exactly is what is happening to the disks. For example:
Lets say that we have 2 Nodes ( VM-server, VM-backup). On every node we have 3 physical disks ( disk1,disk2.disk3).
So if I go to the Datacenter->Storage and create a LVM with name disk1 and set it for both nodes to see it. What is actually happens to the nodes??
is it the same if I use ZFS ??
Also when I go to storage when I create a disk there what is going on to the system??

Thank you for your time!

and set it for both nodes to see it.
Not much. LVM is not a shared storage. See https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_storage_types

Also when I go to storage when I create a disk there what is going on to the system??
It depends on the storage type. On LVM a new logical volume is created that is then handed over to the VM as block device. On ZFS a new ZVOL is created which can be used as block device.
This is similar for Ceph RBD.

On a directory storage, a file is created. Either a .raw or .qcow(2) that stores the disk and is handed over to the VM as a block device.

Containers are a bit special. On LVM or a directory storage, by default, they also get block devices which are ext4 formatted. On ZFS they get a subvolume which is a regular file system that can be accessed easily from the host.

So, in short, depending on the storage type it comes down to having something that can be used as a block device in the VM so the VM can partition and format it's virtual disk.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!