How can I Remove proxmox

Chaython

Oct 1, 2019
When I try to install another distro the proxmox drive is encrypted and won't let me partition it.
I tried proxmox but there is no XML for qemu which I need to fix Nvidia driver crashing.
I spent over 24hrs trying to get VFIO to work properly

Otherwise tell me how to implement this XML since proxmox only uses conf

nVidia driver crash under Windows 10 KVM with GPU passthrough
Software & Operating SystemsVFIO
Event Viewer reports “Event 4101, Display”:
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Solved by exabits in post #4

I think I came across this problem recently. This was the fix for me, however I don’t know what version of qemu you’re on. I wasn’t getting code43, however drivers wouldn’t load and I was getting bsod’s and blackscreens.
QEMU 4.0: Unable to load graphics drivers/BSOD after driver install using Q35
Starting with QEMU 4.0 the q35 machine type changes the default kernel_irqchip from off to split which breaks some guest devices, such as nVidia graphics (the driver fails to load / black screen / code 43). Switch to full KVM mode instead with <ioapic driver='kvm'/> under libvirts <features> tag or kernel_irqchip=on in the -machine qemu arg.
XML should look like so:
<features>
<acpi/>
<apic/>
<hyperv>
<vendor_id state="on" value="whatever"/>
</hyperv>
<kvm>
<hidden state="on"/>
</kvm>
<vmport state="off"/>
<ioapic driver="kvm"/>
</features>

I, personally do not understand this post.
What exactly is the issue?

You don't want to run proxmox anymore?
Boot any live cd. Run parted/gparted, remove any partitions , create new partition table.
Boot into install cd and install any other distro. Encryption only stops you from getting to the information.
It cannot stop you from dumping all and clean the drive.
Now an install process may refuse to destroy the data but gparted will do it.

I, personally do not understand this post.
What exactly is the issue?

You don't want to run proxmox anymore?
Boot any live cd. Run parted/gparted, remove any partitions , create new partition table.
Boot into install cd and install any other distro. Encryption only stops you from getting to the information.
It cannot stop you from dumping all and clean the drive.
Now an install process may refuse to destroy the data but gparted will do it.
In gparted a key icon shows next to the pve partition FS: LVM2 PV and I right click partition /delete etc is grayed out. I assume this is drive encryption?
In the xubuntu live installer there's like 10 different pools for pve
https://ibb.co/zNgFLTW

Last edited:
Why do you want to remove the partions beforehand? Every installer I know is able to delete all partions on your disk install the distro of you choice. All but Windows maybe, but certainly not Linux.

The greyed out thing is the LVM and there is no encryption involved at all. I think that you cannot remove the physical volume, because there are logical volumes and the volume group still active. If you want to work with gparted, try deactive first and if that does not help, try to find the LVM configuration manager or something like this (don't know gparted by hard).

Last edited:
Hi,

I agree with LnxBil. If you want to remove your old proxmox partition, even if it's encrypted, just boot on any new linux, during the install process you've a step where you'll be able to clear your drive partitions and set up new one.
And i'm pretty sure windows can do the same thing if you select the drive to start your win10 install.

In the installer the drive was displayed as a bunch of pools.
I had to just run the "deactivate" task on the partition with the key icon. I was then able to delete it.
I moved back to Unbuntu; the XML change mentioned earlier, stopped the nvidia driver from crashing.
So why doesn't proxmox have the same XML files?
VM is still unstable, mouse is skipping and it "stopped"[screen freezes, obviously crashed] after 10m; but at least GPU pass through is working fine...

Because it doesn't use libvirt. Qemu itself doesn't parse xml.

For some values of "working fine" I suppose.
Well without the XML fix, Nvidia driver was crashing at boot. Hanging on a black screen with endless loading cursor or BSODing

Well without the XML fix, Nvidia driver was crashing at boot. Hanging on a black screen with endless loading cursor or BSODing

On the libvirt homepage, the following is stated:

ioapic: Tune the I/O APIC. Possible values for the driver attribute are: kvm (default for KVM domains) and qemu which puts I/O APIC in userspace which is also known as a split I/O APIC mode. Since 3.4.0 (QEMU/KVM only)​
The actual Bug-Report that was fixed by this patch is this here. In there are examples how the "real" changes are for the kvm/qemu binary, so you can try them. The "real" requirement is: -device intel-iommu,caching-mode=on,intremap=on and it has to come before any pcie passthrough options according to the bug report.

I have no setup to try this myself, so maybe someone can chime in.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!