So i went ahead and did it. I ran this on all nodes :
apt-get install ceph-mgr-dashboard

Then ran this on one of the hosts :
ceph mgr module enable dashboard
ceph dashboard create-self-signed-cert
ceph dashboard ac-user-create <username> <pass> administrator

And that was it.
It works

Well not really, but i havent been really using it. Installed it, checked it out a bit, and that it. Everything i need is already in the proxmox gui, and for everything i just use the cli commands.

Why, did you have problems ?

Well not really, but i havent been really using it. Installed it, checked it out a bit, and that it. Everything i need is already in the proxmox gui, and for everything i just use the cli commands.

Why, did you have problems ?
No problems yet, I just wanted to make sure there were no conflicts before proceeding further. The dashboard gives us a way to separate management roles.

I don't think it's an issue of using the native CEPH Dashboard just to look at the performance metrics. There's even instructions on how to work with Grafana dashboards. Long as you don't use CEPH Dashboard to make any configuration changes or change any settings you should be ok. I'd use Proxmox GUI for that.

The CEPH Dashboard really gives you the in-deph info on what is going with with CEPH. More info what ProxMox GUI can give you.

You can create a read-only account for just to look at the performance graphs.

Reactions: Denham
Hi,
Has anyone tried this recently? How was this done when this guide describes using RPMs instead of DEBs? I went poking around and found packages for Debian Buster but I don't want to add this repository and screw something else up.
The first link at stackoverflow uses rpm, but thats not the point.

You cannot use rpm's if using proxmox. This is on debian, and you already have all the repos needed (if you have proxmox and ceph installed).

You just need to run the commands ive put in my second post in this thread. These:

And that was it.
It works

And that was it.
It works
It's been a while, but it seems that all is not well with newer versions of ceph mgr and this...

I get this:

Code:
FT1-NodeA:~# apt-get install ceph-mgr-dashboard
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
ceph-mgr-dashboard is already the newest version (17.2.5-pve1).
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libjaeger libleveldb1d pve-kernel-5.15.35-1-pve pve-kernel-5.15.64-1-pve
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
FT1-NodeA:~# ceph mgr module enable dashboard
Error ENOENT: all mgr daemons do not support module 'dashboard', pass --force to force enablement
FT1-NodeA:~#

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!