How can I figure out which nic support pci passthrough?

Nyx Nie

Dec 26, 2018
Hi guys, to get the best performance, I am trying to use pci passthrough on nic, but it seems some hardware doesn`t support this feature.

I am using AMD Athlon 200GE for test platform, and I have followed https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Pci_passthrough this documentation.

But a note "The selected Device is not in a seperateIOMMU group, make sure this is intended." showed when I selected the I211 Gigabit Network Connection.

So, it seems that not all hardware support pci passthrough. My question is how can I figure out which nic supports pci passthrough?

Hi,

If you pass through a complete NIC (not only single ports) there is no support from the nic needed.
A common problem is bad implemented Mainboard firmware (Bios) which is responsible for how the IOMMU groups are built.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!