How can I download the backups from pbs? ( I tried to use WinSCP but doesen't work)

Leonardo Mercadante

Aug 28, 2023
Hello everybody!

I've been trying to download my backup images from pbs but I don't fint out how to do it, I also searched on other forums but I cant find a good answer about this.

There are no backup images. PBS chops everything in millions of small chunk files and these get deduplicated. So all backups combined result in a big meshup which is your datastore and only a running PBS can make use of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leonardo Mercadante
There are no backup images. PBS chops everything in small chunk files and these get deduplicated. So all backups combined result in a big meshup which is your datastore and only a running PBS can make use of it.
So, I saw this chunks on "file restore" can i get any way to download it or upload to another pbs to make it work?

In case you want to backup your PBS backups, you could copy the whole datastore folder with all its hidden subfolders as well as the configs in /etc/proxmox-backup.

The cleanest way to move backup from one PBS to another one would be to use the built-in sync job to let a PBS pull the backup snapshots from another PBS.

In case you want to backup your PBS backups, you could copy the whole datastore folder with all its hidden subfolders as well as the configs in /etc/proxmox-backup.

The cleanest way to move backup from one PBS to another one would be to use the built-in sync job to let a PBS pull the backup snapshots from another PBS.
So, I'm using another disk, a datastore I know the path of this datastore so i do the same thing you said up here?

Yes, copy over the datastore folder and then edit the /etc/proxmox-backup/datastore.cfg to match that path. As there is no official way yet to export/import a datastore.

So, I'm using another disk, a datastore I know the path of this datastore so i do the same thing you said up here?

I do it, and the data is being copied. I'll test to restore, then I'll return to you if I get success.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!