How can I display a different memory and CPU/core configuration than the actual values for a VM?

mahesh1337

Sep 12, 2024
I have created a VM with 4GB of memory, 50GB of storage, and 2 CPUs, but I want to show it on VM with 8GB of memory and 4 CPU cores. How can I achieve this?

I have created a VM with 4GB of memory, 50GB of storage, and 2 CPUs, but I want to show it on VM with 8GB of memory and 4 CPU cores. How can I achieve this?
That won't work well. If you tell the VM it has 8 GB of memory, but actually only provide it with 4 GB it will likely crash or panic every time it's trying to use anything more than the 4 GB it actually has available.

Hello @sterzy, than you for quick response.

I will handle those things like panic or utilization of memory, I just need to apply this on the VM. I would like to know if it is possible with Proxmox, and if so, please provide the relevant documentation

You could choose 4 vCPUs in the VM hardware setting and config a CPU-limit of 2. So it can only use 2 real CPU cores.
No idea about to do this for RAM.

Great, I now want to create storage for Proxmox using NAS/SAN. Which method would be faster and more cost-effective? I need to be able to add disks to the SAN/NAS as needed without any downtime. Additionally, if any node in the cluster goes down, I want the storage to remain separate so the VMs can migrate to another node easily. Could you please provide a better suggestion on how I should approach this?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!