How can I backup the pve system?

docmattman

Sep 14, 2012
I know that there are backup options for the VMs and containers, but how can I backup the "system" part? Is there a built-in way to setup backups for the pve node so that if my main drive went down, I wouldn't need to re-install PVE and setup my VMs again?

I know I can do clusting, but for now I only have one server available to me.

I know that there are backup options for the VMs and containers, but how can I backup the "system" part? Is there a built-in way to setup backups for the pve node so that if my main drive went down, I wouldn't need to re-install PVE and setup my VMs again?

I know I can do clusting, but for now I only have one server available to me.
Hi,
normaly an reinstallation is the recommendet way (fast and without trouble). To save the pve-stuff (config-files) save the content of /etc/pve and /root/.forward and it's allways not an bad idea to have the content of /etc saved.
This don't prevent of doing VM-backups of course.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!