How best to set up 2 x NVMe RAID 0 + backup / sync on HDD?

Hello!

I have a Hetzner auction server with three drives: 2 x 1 TB NVMe drives plus a 16 TB spinning rust hard drive.

I want to set up the two NVMe drives as RAID 0 and regularly backup or sync the 2 TB from the RAID 0 2 x 1 TB NVMe array to the 16 TB hard drive. The backup or sync doesn't have to be "instant." Hourly or daily backup / sync would be enough.

It would be great to preserve the unused-by-backup 14 TB remainder of the hard drive so the remaining hard drive space could be available for VMs and containers. The remainder of the hard drive doesn't have to be included in the backups.

I have installed Proxmox via Hetzner's installimage with two NVMe drives either as RAID 1 or RAID 0. Also, I have subsequently used the Proxmox GUI to add the third hard drive via LVM. The hard drive shows up as /dev/sda and is not part of the RAID array. I've been using ext4 as the filesystem.

What are good ways to sync the NVMe RAID 0 or RAID 1 array with the hard drive?

Would using btrfs or another filesystem instead of ext4 make syncing easier?

Thanks for any help!

Best wishes!

Tom

I have a Hetzner auction server with three drives: 2 x 1 TB NVMe drives plus a 16 TB spinning rust hard drive.

I want to set up the two NVMe drives as RAID 0 and regularly backup or sync the 2 TB from the RAID 0 2 x 1 TB NVMe array to the 16 TB hard drive. The backup or sync doesn't have to be "instant." Hourly or daily backup / sync would be enough.

It would be great to preserve the unused-by-backup 14 TB remainder of the hard drive so the remaining hard drive space could be available for VMs and containers. The remainder of the hard drive doesn't have to be included in the backups.

I have installed Proxmox via Hetzner's installimage with two NVMe drives either as RAID 1 or RAID 0. Also, I have subsequently used the Proxmox GUI to add the third hard drive via LVM. The hard drive shows up as /dev/sda and is not part of the RAID array. I've been using ext4 as the filesystem.

What are good ways to sync the NVMe RAID 0 or RAID 1 array with the hard drive?

Would using btrfs or another filesystem instead of ext4 make syncing easier?
The easiest way would be to make a 14TB and a 2TB partition on the hard drive, both with ext4 filesystem and assign to the 14TB partition a "DIsk Image" and "Container" Storage and to the 2TB partition a "Backup" Storage.

Reactions: Not_Oles
The easiest way would be to make a 14TB and a 2TB partition on the hard drive, both with ext4 filesystem and assign to the 14TB partition a "DIsk Image" and "Container" Storage and to the 2TB partition a "Backup" Storage.
Hi Richard!

Thanks for your helpful comment about the partition layout on the hard drive. The specific issue here is about to disappear because I decided to change servers and the new server doesn't have the extra hard drive. However, I'd still be very interested to hear suggestions about how best to sync data from a RAID 0 array to "somewhere else," and whether btrfs or some other filesystem might make syncing easier or faster or both. Thanks again!

Best!

Tom

pbs will be more straightforward and integrated.
fs snapshot then sync with zfs need work to automate even more imo with btrfs.
btw, who need raid0 with nvme ?!
i hope you want mirror aka raid1 !

Last edited:
pbs will be more straightforward and integrated.
Thanks! Duh! Why didn't I think of pbs? :) Now I have to go read https://pbs.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
btw, who need raid0 with nvme ?!
Probably few people need raid0 with nvme. I just tried raid0 + nvme for fun on a machine that isn't used for anything "serious." The disk i/o was approximately twice as fast. I liked the extra speed and didn't care about the loss of redundancy or about the doubled risk of disk failure.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!