[SOLVED] hot to modify timeout in systemd-boot menu ,its too long (5,102,000 sec)

That does not look like the GRUB menu. It looks a lot like the systemd-boot menu. Please reference the Proxmox manual to find out which bootloader is used and how to configure it.
you are right,it is systemd-boot menu, but i still dont know how to configure it.

i try add load.conf file with timeout=5 text content,then use promox-boot-tool refresh cmd to update ,but it not work.
some post wrote boot manager will save the timeout time in a variable with overiding timeout config in load.conf. i guess it save as loaderConfigtimeout

you are right,it is systemd-boot menu, but i still dont know how to configure it.
check the output of `proxmox-boot-tool status` - it will tell you which UUIDs your ESP-disks (where systemd-boot is installed) have:

Code:
proxmox-boot-tool status
Re-executing '/usr/sbin/proxmox-boot-tool' in new private mount namespace..
System currently booted with uefi
XXXX-XXXX is configured with: uefi (versions: ....)

With the UUIDs you can now mount the ESP:
Code:
mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/XXXX-XXXX /mnt/tmp/

then you can edit /mnt/tmp/loader/loader.conf
Code:
timeout 3
default proxmox-*
(this is the default contents)

still quite curios how the value got set so high in the first place

I hope this helps!

check the output of `proxmox-boot-tool status` - it will tell you which UUIDs your ESP-disks (where systemd-boot is installed) have:

Code:
proxmox-boot-tool status
Re-executing '/usr/sbin/proxmox-boot-tool' in new private mount namespace..
System currently booted with uefi
XXXX-XXXX is configured with: uefi (versions: ....)

With the UUIDs you can now mount the ESP:
Code:
mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/XXXX-XXXX /mnt/tmp/

then you can edit /mnt/tmp/loader/loader.conf
Code:
timeout 3
default proxmox-*
(this is the default contents)

still quite curios how the value got set so high in the first place

I hope this helps!

thank your tips,but the content text of loader.conf is same yours:

1679928946119.png

I never edit it before,and really dont know the value when or how it got so high.

Last edited:
Is it the same on all 4 disks?

* you could also try to run `proxmox-boot-tool reinit`, which should set the config correctly for all ESPs

Additionally make sure that you don't have any other ESP partitions which have a broken config, but are not listed with proxmox-boot-tool

Is it the same on all 4 disks?

* you could also try to run `proxmox-boot-tool reinit`, which should set the config correctly for all ESPs

Additionally make sure that you don't have any other ESP partitions which have a broken config, but are not listed with proxmox-boot-tool

i use zfs for raid10 (only 4disks),and never move or edit the esps before.
only upgrade it when pve update.

thanks all .
it is resolved.

From the guide doc of systemd-boot , the timeout will be saved as a variable LoaderConfigTimeout. the timeout config in file ESP/loader/loader.conf just only workly when system startup at first time.

Code:
# I use zfs raid10(4disks),so that each disk has a esp partion.
# try mount esp and use booctl to remove it
mount /dev/sdc2 /mnt/tmp
root@pve:~# bootctl --esp-path=/mnt/tmp remove
Removed "/mnt/tmp/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI".
Removed "/mnt/tmp/loader/loader.conf".
Removed "/mnt/tmp/loader/random-seed".
Removed "/mnt/tmp/EFI/BOOT".
Removed "/mnt/tmp/EFI/Linux".
Removed EFI variable LoaderConfigTimeout.
Removed EFI variable LoaderSystemToken.

# finally,reinit the esp partions
 proxmox-boot-tool reinit

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!