Hot swap physical Proxmox disk to VM

garyhook

Renowned Member
Jun 19, 2015
Forum:

DISCLAIMER: I'M WORKING ON A BENCH TESTING SYSTEM, NOT FOR PRODUCTION, PLEASE LEAVE YOUR PITCHFORKS AT HOME.

Okay, so I'm trying to run a FreeBSD VM on a bench testing Proxmox server. I have an disk array attached via LSI HBA with 24 disks. I'm passing the physical disks to the VM via the VM.conf file using scsi8: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST1000LM035-1RK172_ZDE82Y5F. Everything runs just fine. The VM starts up and i can see the physical disk has been passed through.

Now I want to hot swap the drive in case of a failure. I've pulled the old hard drive out of the enclosure and put the new one in. Proxmox see the new drive just fine. I've changed the VM.conf file to include the id of the new drive (scsi8: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-WDC_WD10JPVX-22JC3T0_WD-WX81A6415JVC).

Now, the VM (FreeBSD) doesn't see the new drive? I have the hotplug option for disks, network and usb check in the Proxmox VM Options.

The goal here is to pass the replacement drive to the VM without rebooting...hence hotplug

I thought there might be a "qm" command to trigger the hotswap but I'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated!

Now, the VM (FreeBSD) doesn't see the new drive? I have the hotplug option for disks, network and usb check in the Proxmox VM Options.
Hotplug does not work passthrough disks.
You could add the disk manually with the KVM monitor
Code:
qm monitor <VMID>
help

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!