Hot Plugging CD-ROM

saint_antone

Sep 11, 2021
Is it possible to mount and unmount CD-ROM in PVE 7 without requiring a restart/reset of the guest operating system?

So there are two different things that can be done:

1. Unplug the whole CD/DVD-ROM device so that the VM does not even sees the device at all, that can only be done live (hot-unplugged) if the underlying device-bus supports it, i.e., it will work for SCSI but not for the default IDE.
  2. Eject the CD/DVD from the device, that is normally always support, independent of what device-bus is configured. Just select the CD/DVD-ROM device and click Edit (or double click it) and select "do not use any media" and confirm with "Ok", that should eject the ISO-image from the CD/DVD-ROM drive.1632374913075.png

Hello Thomas,

I am probably missing something. May I ask how do I achieve option #1. I do not see the option to add SCSI so I can mount an ISO image to it. Below are the only options that I see.

1632513480967.png

For option #2 that you described, wouldn't this require a bounce of the virtual machine for changes to take effect?

I am probably missing something. May I ask how do I achieve option #1. I do not see the option to add SCSI so I can mount an ISO image to it.
That option is a setting in the dialogue that will pop up when clicking on Add -> CD/DVD Drive:
1632565855460.png
For option #2 that you described, wouldn't this require a bounce of the virtual machine for changes to take effect?
What do you mean with bounce here? Normally editing the drive and selecting "Do not use any media" and confirming with "Ok" is all that's needed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!