Hostname (FQDN) as a Hosted Website in a VM?

BNexus

Aug 18, 2020
So I have one domain - which I was going to use a vm in Proxmox to host. Due to the fact that it's being hosted in Proxmox, should I avoid using that as a hostname for the Proxmox server itself?

For example:

Proxmox Dedicated Server: Hostname = secure.example.com
Proxmox VM "100" - hosts example.com, using secure.example.com as hostname as well.

I just wanted to confirm this is a bad idea, as from what I can tell it can cause some major issues.

Hi,
Are you forwarding ports 80 and 443 directly to your vm inside your private network?
Ideally, you would go with a reverse proxy in a DMZ. This reverse proxy handles TLS termination and is isolated from the rest of your network.
Even if you can provide a DMZ, it's still a good idea. You won't be able to forward port 80 and 443 to another vm.

On the original question, it is always a bad idea to set a public hostname as a local system hostname.
set a local hostname to your proxmox and vm. Your public dns secure.example.com will point to your public IP. The nginx/apache/otherwebserver will handle the use of you public hostname.

Also a public hostnam should NEVER point to a private ip.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!