Hostname change not systemwide

Dark-Sider

May 15, 2019
Hi folks,

thanks for this great looking appliance. I just installed the free version for some early testdrive - if it works out I'll be going for one of the subscriptions for my company.

Upon installation I typed in the wrong hostname (pmg.wrongdomain.com). I corrected my mistake in the webgui and also check that resolv.conf was updated properly. I then rebooted the machine.

The spam report mail (sent to the admin adress) now shows the following information:
sender: Proxmox Mail Gateway <postmaster@pmg.correctdomain.com>
subject: Proxmox Status Report - 2019-05-14 (pmg.wrongdomain.com)

The daily spam reports also link to pmg.wrongdomain.com. Have I missed a setting to update the domain name of the system?

On a side note. The status mail's To: is empty and the mail is sent as a BCC - is this intended? why?

regards,
Fabian

* Most likely you still have the old hostname configured in '/etc/hosts'
* the report should contain the same name you get when you run `hostname -f` in a shell

On a side note. The status mail's To: is empty and the mail is sent as a BCC - is this intended?
Yes this is intended - the rationale here is that we do not want to get NDR and Bounces back for this e-mail (since those would be again sent out to the admin e-mail) (technically the rationale is for the envelop sender, but adding a To header would only contain your e-mail address (or root@$fqdn))

Hope this helps!

* Most likely you still have the old hostname configured in '/etc/hosts'
* the report should contain the same name you get when you run `hostname -f` in a shell

Yes this is intended - the rationale here is that we do not want to get NDR and Bounces back for this e-mail (since those would be again sent out to the admin e-mail) (technically the rationale is for the envelop sender, but adding a To header would only contain your e-mail address (or root@$fqdn))

Hope this helps!

It would be great, if the GUI change will also change all necessary files. The problem has been already reported more often, primary on /etc/hosts kept unchanged.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!