Hosting Web and DB on 2 different KVMs too slow

DrPit

Mar 7, 2017
Hello,

I have noticed that hosting a site on 2 different kvms in the same node is much slower than hosting the db inside a single kvm
What could I check to see what causing this problem

Hi,

I assume you are taking about SQLDB?

This is a normal behavior if the two DB are on the same physical disk.
That happens because a DB will optimize the io and when you have 2 of them they don't know about the io of the outer DB.
So the can't really optimize the io.

Hi,
I have just one DB Server and one Web Server with no load both of them have external IPs
and I tested the same site on a single VM including both db server and web server no load again
I use a SSD Disks which eliminates any io problem at my load

Well, you forgot one thing. Having things "locally" is in 99% cases faster than having things over network. And even if you have both VMs on same node, they works through network, in this case "virtual" network is faster than physical, but still limited.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!