Hosted/Dedicated Proxmox Server with one KVM guest with public IP too

sidh

May 24, 2011
Hello Everybody,

This is my first post on this forum, and I've made some search in this forum before posting. If the solution to my problem has already been posted, then please forgive me.

Here is my problem : I have a Proxmox Server installed on a dedicated hosted machine. It has one physical NIC and one public IP. At the beginning I was using the main public IP for the Proxmox host , and a private LAN subnet for the kvm/openvz guest and I use iptables rules to restrict access to and between the guests. The /etc/network/interfaces file on the host looked like this :

Code:
iface eth0 inet manual
	pre-up brctl addbr vmbr0
	pre-up brctl addif vmbr0 eth0
	pre-up ifconfig eth0 up
	post-down ifconfig eth0 down
	post-down brctl delif vmbr0 eth0
	post-down brctl delbr vmbr0

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
	address MY.MAIN.PUBLIC.IP
	netmask 255.255.255.224
	gateway MY.CORRESPONDING.PUBLIC.GW
	bridge_ports eth0
	bridge_stp off
	bridge_fd 0

auto dummy0
iface dummy0 inet manual
	pre-up modprobe -o dummy0 dummy
	pre-up brctl addbr vmbr1
	pre-up brctl addif vmbr1 dummy0
	pre-up ifconfig dummy0 up
	post-down ifconfig dummy0 down
	post-down brctl delif vmbr1 dummy0
	post-down brctl delbr vmbr1
	post-down rmmod dummy

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
	address 10.0.0.1
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	bridge_ports dummy0
	bridge_stp off
	bridge_fd 0

As I already use the 443 TCP port with our first public IP, and I need to set up a second HTTPS access on another apache KVM guest, I ordered a second public IPv4 address, that come with a different subnet from the first one.

AFAIK, for a kvm guest the network settings must be set on the guest itself (the host doesn't care about it) and maybe configuring the guest with just a etc/network/interfaces like this :

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
	address MY.SECOND.PUBLIC.IP
	netmask 255.255.255.224
	gateway MY.SECOND.PUBLIC.GW

(route and dns should be added too in order to reach the host, the 10.0.0.0/24 guests and outside)

would do the trick, but what about the redirection from the main public IP (of the host) to the second public IP (of the guest) ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Sidh

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!