Host Uptimes (or reboot frequency best practice)

johnha

Jan 1, 2018
Hi all- I'm just curious how often you all reboot your hosts? I suppose it's the same as a more general question of how often to reboot a fairly plain debian box. But I'm just curious, anecdotally what sort of frequency you do so.

I use unattended-upgrades and it sends me an email whenever an upgrade happens, and sometimes it says reboot is recommended due to a new kernel version. But unless you have a specific hardware need or there is some specific kernel vulnerability that you could be susceptible to, I'm guessing you could have long uptimes, perhaps 6 months or more?

Interesting question. One might differentiate between Homelab vs. Business. For me this means:

• Business: reboot as soon as a software component like the Kernel has a security problem which requires this. I might delay this a fews days only (weekend...). As I have some hundred technically skilled users with login-credentials to several machines this is a must.
  • Homelab: reboot on Kernel updates. Because... why not? (unattended-updates can do that for you automatically.)
I can remember uptimes of several months (and years!) around the year 2000 (+/ 5 years). Since then it got shorter and shorter :(

Best regards

We had some machines,usually physical which were working around 2000 days, but for VE i would recommended once in a few months, eg kernel updates.

But unless you have a specific hardware need or there is some specific kernel vulnerability that you could be susceptible to, I'm guessing you could have long uptimes, perhaps 6 months or more?
after a kernel upgrade it's recommended to reboot, in order to avoid weird issues that can come up with the mismatch.

if you're running a cluster and don't want to have downtime for your VMs, you can live-migrate them to another host (or better, use shared storage) while you reboot the other ones

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!