Host unreachable after fresh installation of PROXMOX VE 8.2

kittaneh

Aug 18, 2024
Hello,

I am trying to install PROXMOX VE 8.2 for the first time. After fresh installation I couldn't reach the PROXMOX from any device. and it is not visible on my local network. I am attaching the results of the /etc/network/interfaces and the result of ip -a command.

Thanks,

Attachments

• intf.data.txt
    256 bytes · Views: 12
  • ipa.data.txt
    839 bytes · Views: 11
There should not be a netmask 255.255.255.0 because the IP address already ends with a /24. I assume the gateway is indeed your local router's IP address? Make sure the Proxmox IP address is not inside the DHCP range of the router (or make sure it is reserved) as Proxmox does not support DHCP out of the box (except that the installer uses DHCP once).

Also, since you don't specifically mention, can you ping the proxmox-server, or from the proxmox-server can you ping the router or your PC?
And how did you get these logs btw, did you type them all over, or otherwise?

Also, since you don't specifically mention, can you ping the proxmox-server, or from the proxmox-server can you ping the router or your PC?
And how did you get these logs btw, did you type them all over, or otherwise?
Yes, I did ping, always got Host Unreachable. Regarding submitting the files, I redirected the output of the commands to files using the operator > and cp to a usb flash

Last edited:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp3s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.47/24
        netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.0.1
    bridge-ports enp3s0
    bridge-stp off
    bridge-fd 0

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
Code:
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host noprefixroute
2: enp3s0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast master vmbr0 state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 88:51:fb:60:b8:7c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: vmbr0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 88:51:fb:60:b8:7c brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
    inet 192.168.0.47/24 scope global vmbr0
    inet6 fe80::8a51:fbff:fe60:b87c/64 scope link

The netmask probably just gets ignored (it's deprecated and you have correctly /24), the ip a looks fine.

Yes, I did ping, always got Host Unreachable.

My gut feeling would be ...

Make sure the Proxmox IP address is not inside the DHCP range of the router (or make sure it is reserved) as Proxmox does not support DHCP out of the box (except that the installer uses DHCP once).

So are you absolutely sure there's nothing else on that address, or can you check?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!