Host IP in SDN vnet

oz1cw7yymn

Well-Known Member
Feb 13, 2019
97
15
48
Hi,

I've been trying to find documentation, threads of blog posts about this but haven't been successful.

I'm configuring a new cluster and I'm experimenting with SDN. I have configured a vlan zone connected to the appropriate vmbr and configured the vnets mapping the VLANs in our network.

One of the vnets is the vlan in which the proxmox host has its fixed management IP.

How am I supposed to configure that correctly.

Using the regular vlan configuration in the Web UI or interfaces file - have an entry with vmbr0.123 - is not working, the ip is not assigned when restarting the networking and looking at ip a.

I can add the ip in interfaces manually, using the sdn bridge and assigning an ip (and gateway). In the Web UI, it then shows up as an unknown type, but it works.

What is the recommended way? Or perhaps I'm totally off base!?

Thanks!
 
Thanks @spirit!

This is what I did to make it work, but it shows up as an unknown type in the web ui, it can only be edited in the cli and it will break network connection when I join another node to the cluster. It's all very easy to fix manually with console access, but it seems a bit clunky so I was wondering if there was another, recommended way. I couldn't find any documentation about it.

If not, I'll just proceed like this - thanks!
 
This allows me to define an IP for the PVE host on the SDN and have it preserved through the generated file changes. It doesn't show up in the GUI at all. I haven't tried it in a cluster setup yet, but by having it in a separate file I expect it should work. I'll try to remember to report back about it when I try adding a node on my test cluster (or it would be great if someone else could chime in about it).

/etc/interfaces.d/z-custom:
Code:
iface v1001
        inet static
        address 172.31.0.51/24

/etc/interfaces.d/sdn:
Code:
auto v1001
iface v1001
    bridge_ports vmbr0.1001
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0
    alias vlan1001[CODE]
 
Last edited:
For VM hosts of all kings I usually make the management vlan native/untagged. That way I can install hosts without having to mess with vlans. For PVE this has the added benefit of setting the IP directly on the bridge without getting into conflict with SDN.