Host instable after update 5.0.21-5

Jun 28, 2019
Hi,

I'm using Proxmox 6.0-12..

After updating the kernel to 5.0.21-5 the /var/log/syslog start to ouput these erros below:

VM 106 qmp command failed - VM 106 qmp command 'balloon' failed - Invalid parameter type for 'value', expected: integer
VM 103 qmp command failed - VM 103 qmp command 'balloon' failed - Invalid parameter type for 'value', expected: integer
VM 120 qmp command failed - VM 120 qmp command 'balloon' failed - Invalid parameter type for 'value', expected: integer

etc...

After some time, the proxmox host becomes very unstable and I have to reboot the node in order to the virtual environment become online again..

Last edited:
Hi.
I'm seeing the same error message after upgrading to 6.0-12 .
Turning "balloon" off in the hardware memory settings for the kvm guest seems to be a quick workaround.
Updating the guest with the latest virtio-win drivers did not help.

Last edited:
Yes, you do unfortunately

At least my nodes is not experiencing crashes after this!!! hope they correct the problem soon!! Cause we area a cloud company running hundred of VMs.. and not having the possibility to regain unused memory from guest is a waste of resources!!!

I"m also seeing the balooning error since updating for VMs...
pvestatd[2339]: VM 200 qmp command failed - VM 200 qmp command 'balloon' failed - Invalid parameter type for 'value', expected: integer
pvestatd[2339]: VM 200 qmp command 'balloon' failed - Invalid parameter type for 'value', expected: integer

FYI: This should be fixed in pve-manager 6.0-15, currently available from pve-no-subscription. Testing/Feedback always appreciated!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!