[SOLVED] Host drive to data share with container and be a samba share for Win machine

Simuman

Aug 27, 2022
Hi everyone, hoping a kindly person here, will be able to point me in the right direction or give me simple instructions for newbie.

Scenario

I have a internal drive which is not setup or attached to any storage within Proxmox, I wish to use this drive as a common media storage for three containers Qbit, Sonarr and Radarr, but also to be a samba share for my local windows machine (separate box). I've read all the documentation and researched to find common cases but not found a similar scenario or are to old to work in current version (7.2-11).

What I've tried

I've got my head around using binding mounts from this storage to the containers, but seem to be going round and round trying different storage setups for this drive. I tried to use a single drive storage (lvm and zfs) a Directory using the entire drive but could not see how to setup as a share/mount, even tried the turnkey Fileserver in it's own CT which worked to a point as showed the folders, but not the content.

Any help in pointing me in the right direction, advise me with simple instructions of the correct way to setup would be greatly appreciated.

I've got my head around using binding mounts from this storage to the containers, but seem to be going round and round trying different storage setups for this drive. I tried to use a single drive storage (lvm and zfs) a Directory using the entire drive but could not see how to setup as a share/mount, even tried the turnkey Fileserver in it's own CT which worked to a point as showed the folders, but not the content.
This is the way to go. Use bind-mounts to get the data into multiple containers (it only works with containers).

Create a filesystem on the disk (e.g. ext4) and mount the disk in PVE. I have no idea if this works via GUI, but it's basis Linux 101.

This is the way to go. Use bind-mounts to get the data into multiple containers (it only works with containers).

Create a filesystem on the disk (e.g. ext4) and mount the disk in PVE. I have no idea if this works via GUI, but it's basis Linux 101.
Thx for the quick reply, but this is my problem as the disk is already connected under disks in Proxmox, just no filesystem or storage setup and was looking how best to put the filesystem on from there, in the GUI. Also does this allow for it to be Samba share also?

ust no filesystem or storage setup and was looking how best to put the filesystem on from there, in the GUI. Also does this allow for it to be Samba share also?
No, PVE is not a fileserver. The recommended way is to bind-mound the already existing data into a container that acts as a fileserver.

No, PVE is not a fileserver. The recommended way is to bind-mound the already existing data into a container that acts as a fileserver.
Thx, just needed confirmation of that, that was what I'm supposed to do. Thx again.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!